Best Wireless Router with VLAN support

parallon

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hello all. I purchase a WRT3200ACM a while back, and I am kind of disappointed that it doesn't support VLANs. I want to segregate my security cameras from the rest of my network, because of all the talk of there being backdoors in some of the camera firmware.

So, I guess my question is, what is the best router that will support this functionality, and assignable/segregat'able' physical ports would be nice too.

Thanks in advance,

Mike

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hello all. I purchase a WRT3200ACM a while back, and I am kind of disappointed that it doesn't support VLANs. I want to segregate my security cameras from the rest of my network, because of all the talk of there being backdoors in some of the camera firmware.

So, I guess my question is, what is the best router that will support this functionality, and assignable/segregat'able' physical ports would be nice too.

Thanks in advance,

Mike
You can simply block internet access for the cameras...there are threads discussing this..
if you want vlan support you will likely have to move to a small business router..
you can flash the router with ddwrt - though ddwrt only works with certain revisions of that model and even then is not easy to implement.

parallon

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thank you for your reply. I would like remote access to my cameras so I can get notified of events, so the "blocking Internet access" isn't an option for me. I currently am running DD-WRT, and I know that the option isn't available for this model. When you speak of "small business" router, can you give me an example?

Thanks again,

Mike

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you for your reply. I would like remote access to my cameras so I can get notified of events, so the "blocking Internet access" isn't an option for me. I currently am running DD-WRT, and I know that the option isn't available for this model. When you speak of "small business" router, can you give me an example?

Thanks again,

Mike
USG20-VPN/USG20W-VPN - Reliable Remote Access Solution for Small Businesses & Branch Offices | Zyxel
Getting notifications is distinct from remote access.
You can setup notifications and still secure remote access with a vpn.

parallon

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Wow, didn't think about that. So I can still use the Dahua app to see what's going on with my cameras, and yet prevent the cameras from "calling home?"

Mike

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Wow, didn't think about that. So I can still use the Dahua app to see what's going on with my cameras, and yet prevent the cameras from "calling home?"

Mike
yes..but they wont be able to send alerts. Are you using any NVR or vms?

parallon

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Sorry for the delay. I am using the NVR5216-16P-4KS2.

Mike