BEWARE of SMTSEC 4k camera

karol_

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I want to warn you off SMTSEC 4k camera, model SIP-E08-4K (SIP-E08-4K).
It is definitely not worth to buy. Half of the features is not working i.e.:
- HDMI port not working (seller will inform you just before payment)
- RS485 is not working
- snapshots are just renamed bitmaps (20-30MB/picture)
- videos compressed with h265 codec are bigger than h264 made by camera with the same settings
- video bitrate for any resolution is limited up to 16Mbps
- camera mount wiggles. The aluminium piece with thread is mounted on the camera body with 2 small screws from up and down side.
- web interface is based on ActiveX component, so it won't work with firefox natively
- many security issues, i.e. no https, hidden users (user1/user1, user2/user2, user3/user3, user4/user4), telnet with unknown user/password, username and passwords are sent in url (base64 encoded)

I hope this information will help somebody.

Attachments

TrumanHW

n3wb
Reaction score
Here's what I don't get (but I DO appreciate that someone has started a review... and you covered many topics) -- how can this be the case... when they don't really make any of the parts... they're kind of like Dell, or HP; they BUY the lens from a company... and surveillance lenses are generally cheap ass glass. Ain't like anyone's using a nikon 85mm 1.4G or something. They don't make the sensor; Sony does. And an IMX226 isn't anything to sneer at - though I'll bet the specs changed as the sensor listed on it now wasn't even OUT back in Jan 2017. And speaking of the sensor, which is literally brand new, it's AMAZING. Literally amazing. But you were probably using it's predecessor... Irrespective, I guarantee that SMTSec doesn't program the CODEC, make their own, etc. etc.

I'm DEFINITELY not disputing your experience with that unit. I have no personal experience with their equipment, and no conflict of interest to disclose. I believe you're right about the activeX, but, then again, most of these companies use legacy software that needs a serious fucking overhaul. Mac compatible!?? Doesn't require modifying the security settings of IE. Etc...

Obviously though, I'd be interested in knowing a little about you; what equipment you've had good luck with, etc.

Thanks