BI 4 Not Recognizing 2048 x 1536 Stream?

Aaron407

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'm running BI v4.8.4 (haven't found the need to upgrade yet) and came across an odd quirk. I have a camera that has 3MP output capability (2048 x 1536), as well as the standard HD resolutions. BI finds and handles the 1080p stream just fine. However, if I simply change the resolution to 2048 x 1536 in the camera, BI drops the stream and it never comes back. I can see the stream just fine in ONVIF device manager with the exact same stream address as used in BI, but BI doesn't seem to like it. I tried deleting the camera and starting from scratch after changing it to 2048 x 1536, as well as toggling hardware acceleration, but it just doesn't want to accept it with that resolution. Has anyone else encountered this issue and would have any tips?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm running BI v4.8.4 (haven't found the need to upgrade yet) and came across an odd quirk. I have a camera that has 3MP output capability (2048 x 1536), as well as the standard HD resolutions. BI finds and handles the 1080p stream just fine. However, if I simply change the resolution to 2048 x 1536 in the camera, BI drops the stream and it never comes back. I can see the stream just fine in ONVIF device manager with the exact same stream address as used in BI, but BI doesn't seem to like it. I tried deleting the camera and starting from scratch after changing it to 2048 x 1536, as well as toggling hardware acceleration, but it just doesn't want to accept it with that resolution. Has anyone else encountered this issue and would have any tips?
in the BI video tab disable hardware acceleration for the camera and test again.
What exact cpu are you using?

Aaron407

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Ok, that led me down the right path. It's an old school 6 core AMD (Phenom X6 1075T) coupled with a 1GB Nvidia cuda-enabled video card. I've been trying extend the life of this machine that was great in its prime, but it's really not well suited to BI duty. Oddly, I had to set it to Intel hw acceleration to get it to work, even though I don't really have anything intel in the system. Nvidia cuda and no hw acceleration wouldn't allow the stream. At any rate, it seems to be working for now, thanks for the nudge in the right direction.

Last edited:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Ok, that led me down the right path. It's an old school 6 core AMD (Phenom X6 1075T) coupled with a 1GB Nvidia cude-enabled video card. I've been trying extend the life of this machine that was great in its prime, but it's really not well suited to BI duty. Oddly, I had to set it to Intel hw acceleration to get it to work, even though I don't really have anything intel in the system. Nvidia cuda and no hw acceleration wouldn't allow the stream. At any rate, it seems to be working for now, thanks for the nudge in the right direction.
Those older processors and video cards are Power hogs. Try putting a kilowatt meter on that machine And test the power draw. You can buy an intel based PC for $100 that will use much less power and be more powerful. Why pay the electric company when you can pay yourself. Depending on your draw and your rates you could make your money back in a year or two.

Aaron407

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Yeah, it's more the migration effort that would be significant. 12TB of spanned drives, integration with a home automation system, hosting a Kodi mysql database, etc. will mean a lot of time to shift to a new machine. That, and a wife that's sick of me buying more electronics. My plan is to do full new build with an i9 in the next year or two once prices come down a bit. In terms of the old machine, the UPS that it's on shows that it typically uses about 120 W, so it costs me about $140 CAD per year in electricity.