BI 5 was working remotely, now it isn't

sygad1

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi All

Is some service/server down?

I can't connect on any of my mobile devices, pretty sure i've not changed anything on my end.

Even when connected to my home wifi I can't connect from my phone.

Any help/pointers?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi All

Is some service/server down?

I can't connect on any of my mobile devices, pretty sure i've not changed anything on my end.

Even when connected to my home wifi I can't connect from my phone.

Any help/pointers?
You dont need any remote server to connect to BI unless you are using the BI quasi ddns service based on your license key.

sygad1

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I don't believe i'm using BI ddns and don't recall ever setting anything like that up.

I have a fixed IP address with my ISP

Strange thing is, I had it working no problem, then it stopped working a couple of weeks ago, there has been a lot of updates to BI5 in that time and I put it down to that

I've sat down today to try and fix it and don't seem to be getting anywhere.

When I go through the steps of the remote access wizard I get a screen with no IP addresses on it.

If I click on the link (IP address of my CCTV server) it opens a blank page.

I even tried disabling my inter VLAN rules and left my cctv vlan wide open for a few moments....nothing

I tried port forwarding (81) to my cctv server.....nothing

I'm really quite stuck and i'm considering a fresh install unless there is clueless head slap moment where I realise i've been a complete moron and changed something.

any ideas?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
First debugging step is to try to connect to the BI web server from a browser on the BI machine itself. If it works there but nowhere else then it is probably Windows Firewall preventing remote access.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
If it is a "blank page" as you say, then it would be helpful to try inspecting the actual web server response using the browser's developer tools.

Maybe your BI web server folder path is set wrong in Blue Iris Settings > Web server. It should point at Blue Iris 5/www

sygad1

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
So I spent most of last night trying to sort this.

After spending way too much time, I decided to delete all my firewall rules (USG Pro) and cameras and effectively start from scratch.

TBH, should have done that from the start, I spent about 2 hours getting it back to where it was and I actually feel my firewall rules are better now, I had previously created a few too many specific rules to control inter vlan comms, they're now simplified both in scope and naming conventions.

I still can't identify the cause of the outage but i'm back up and running now, cheers for offering suggestions and help.

@bp2008 I made sure the path was correct, it was and the inspector for the blank page didn't yield anything useful, i'll be honest, at that point I was chasing my tail and I might have been getting caught up in the provisioning delay of my router.