BI a hog...

plongson

n3wb
Reaction score
Ok, something that BI has ALWAYS done and I blamed it on BI linked to the internet through my ISP...it's an internet speed hog... but WHY????...BI running, internet speed suffers...BI off, internet speed resumes.

Fast forward, I ditched my internet provider for a number of reasons and now have HughesNet with the new satellite and Gen5...UNFORTUNATELY...HughesNet does NOT provide ANY uplink...nothing, nada, I'm dicked trying to access BI offsite and remote.

But BI is still a hog somehow, in the same way...BI running, internet speed suffers...BI off, internet speed resumes.

Look at these examples...ANY IDEAS

BI off
Capture.JPG

BI ON

Capture1.JPG

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Ok, something that BI has ALWAYS done and I blamed it on BI linked to the internet through my ISP...it's an internet speed hog... but WHY????...BI running, internet speed suffers...BI off, internet speed resumes.

Fast forward, I ditched my internet provider for a number of reasons and now have HughesNet with the new satellite and Gen5...UNFORTUNATELY...HughesNet does NOT provide ANY uplink...nothing, nada, I'm dicked trying to access BI offsite and remote.

But BI is still a hog somehow, in the same way...BI running, internet speed suffers...BI off, internet speed resumes.

Look at these examples...ANY IDEAS

BI off
View attachment 23910

BI ON

View attachment 23911
First understand the blue iris (and for that matter any software running on your pc that is not pulling data from the internet) cannot and does not affect internet speeds in any way.
What is likely happening is you are feeding your cameras to the BI machine by way of your router and it is chocking because it is less than capable...this is a network issue...to solve it, buy a quality switch and connect the cameras AND the blue iris machine to the same switch...no data will pass through your router unless you are remote viewing on another device...and there are ways to view remotely, you do get upload by HN, otherwise you could not surf...you just dont get a public ip address...there are threads that discuss it..

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
If you have connected the Blue Iris machine or any cameras to your network wirelessly, and are also performing the speed test using wifi, then that could also explain the problem.

As for Hughesnet, they unfortunately do not provide public IP addresses. I'm not sure which satellite internet providers do, if any do anymore. I know WildBlue provided public addresses but I haven't had to deal with that in a long time.

plongson

n3wb
Reaction score
THANKS!!! For the replys! And you guys are on point as to my issues...Yes, all cameras are wireless connected to BI through one router and a switch, even my monitoring PC is connected wirelessly with the system talking through Ubiquiti AP's.

So with everything being wireless, is there even a solution to save internet bandwith? Hard wire is really not an option in this house.

I was hanging around the HughesNet forum last week all last week and they essentially said I was screwed trying to access BI remote. It sounds like you guys have another way around it. I would be EXTREMELY interested in what you have to say!

Thanks, Paul

Last edited:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
THANKS!!! For the replys! And you guys are on point as to my issues...Yes, all cameras are wireless connected to BI through one router and a switch, even my monitoring PC is connected wirelessly with the system talking through Ubiquiti AP's.

So with everything being wireless, is there even a solution to save internet bandwith? Hard wire is really not an option in this house.

I was hanging around the HughesNet forum last week all last week and they essentially said I was screwed trying to access BI remote. It sounds like you guys have another way around it. I would be EXTREMELY interested in what you have to say!

Thanks, Paul
hardwire is always an option...consult with a low voltage professional...will cost more than messing with wifi but will be reliable and future proof...
consider using powerline adapters
if you insist on wifi, you should set up a second access point and have all the cams connect to it, then the blue iris pc hardwired to it, that will free up bandwidth for your router wifi...
you will be tinkering to no end with wifi - just wire it up...
for remote access, there are threads discussing how to do this, but it can be complex...one easy solution is mentioned here by @Don Couchman - I have not tested it myself...
My ISP does not support VPN - alternate way to view my ipc remotely?