BI app and VPN

bszen27

n3wb
Reaction score
I have been using the BI app successfully for awhile, but things went astray when started using a popular VPN service. I have read through many posts here about this and perused the VPN for noobs post, but I still can't get this to work. Assuming a VPN server is out, what do I need to do? In the BI app, I have my interval LAN set and the WAN is my DNS hostname which refreshes every 5 minutes. In the BI program on my W10 machine I have the same LAN, but the current IP (not DNS hostname) set. Is that correct or am I doing something incorrect? One older post says that I should make the WAN address the same as the LAN, but that doesn't work either, so I am a bit lost here. Any input would be appreciated. Thank you.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I have been using the BI app successfully for awhile, but things went astray when started using a popular VPN service. I have read through many posts here about this and perused the VPN for noobs post, but I still can't get this to work. Assuming a VPN server is out, what do I need to do? In the BI app, I have my interval LAN set and the WAN is my DNS hostname which refreshes every 5 minutes. In the BI program on my W10 machine I have the same LAN, but the current IP (not DNS hostname) set. Is that correct or am I doing something incorrect? One older post says that I should make the WAN address the same as the LAN, but that doesn't work either, so I am a bit lost here. Any input would be appreciated. Thank you.
Your paid VPN service is useless...cancel it...you need a VPN server..

bszen27

n3wb
Reaction score
I obviously have stated that a VPN server is not an option, so I was just looking for whether I have any options otherwise. If my FIOS router allowed me to set up the VPN server, I would do it in a second, but the company says I can't replace it with another router. I tried connecting another router to it, but then I had whole host of other issues as a result.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I obviously have stated that a VPN server is not an option, so I was just looking for whether I have any options otherwise. If my FIOS router allowed me to set up the VPN server, I would do it in a second, but the company says I can't replace it with another router. I tried connecting another router to it, but then I had whole host of other issues as a result.
you are obviously wrong...its ALWAYS an option...you can absolutely run a vpn behind your fios router - google...the "tech" answering the phone has no idea what a VPN is...additionally if you dont need on demand and certain tv functions you dont even need their router...
you can also try hamachi by logmein running on the BI pc...
my point was stop wasting your money on a paid vpn service, it does zero...then you can go back to port forwarding like you did before...not the most secure, but it will put you back where you started.