BI app freezes if I leave it open for a while

frankred

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So I have noticed this happening at least one other time now. I open the app and full screen all cameras. After a while, the image is static and old. Home screen and back into the app clears the problem. Has anyone else seen this? I have been thinking about using a cheap tablet as a viewer that just leaves one or all cameras displaying at all times (plugged into the wall too). I am using a Samsung Tab 8 S on Android 5.0.2.

Thanks!
John

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
I have also noticed that the BI console occasionally seems to freeze. I can close it by cliking the X in upper right corner, so it may not be crashed per-se,
but it's frozen on all the cams all at the same time. restarting the console and all's well. I run BI as a service, and the service is not frozen nor
are recordings interrupted, just the console if it's running...

edit: woops. I was referring to the PC console, not the android app. didn't notice what forum i was in... cheers!

frankred

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I just emailed support to see what they say.

pomonabill220

Banned
Reaction score
I don't get freezes, the GUI just shuts down and sometimes a popup asks me if I want to report it.
If I tap the square box, BI seems to be still taking memory, but not running.
This is on an Nvidia Shield K1... not a slouch tablet! 5Ghz or 2.4 Ghz and 5 feet away from an Asus wireless router.. I did have a different router and thought that might be the problem but I still have the same problems, so no it ain't the router.

frankred

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I haven't see the issue I described in a while. When I messaged support, Ken replied that he would have his developer do some long term testing.

toolz

n3wb
Reaction score
Using this app on a Samsung Galaxy tab 4

With out fail, when cycling cameras, Blue Iris app FREEZES after 'one minute'.

Given the above, I have to resort to "tinyCam Monitor PRO" to cycle view cameras, as the "Blue Iris" app is UNRELIABLE and freezes when cycling cameras.

tinyCam Monitor PRO: cycle views cameras non-stop, hours on end WITHOUT PROBLEMS.

Blue Iris app: cycle views cameras, FREEZES after one minute.

:laugh:

Last edited by a moderator:

toolz

n3wb
Reaction score
I've not contacted support yet, been holding-out hoping an update might fix the problem but 6 months of updates have come and gone, yet still the 'freeze' persists.

Just for curiosity, I tried the 'auto-cycle' feature on my LG phone, the app CRASHED after several minutes.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I've not contacted support yet, been holding-out hoping an update might fix the problem but 6 months of updates have come and gone, yet still the 'freeze' persists.

Just for curiosity, I tried the 'auto-cycle' feature on my LG phone, the app CRASHED after several minutes.
Well if you don't let him know it will never get fixed..

toolz

n3wb
Reaction score
I've just sent off the log report from the pop-up message on my LG phone to support. also included reference to this forum thread.

~cheers

toolz

n3wb
Reaction score
interesting to note:

frankred: raised this issue and started this thread on 28th April 2016. he also contacted support on 30th April 2016.

today is 31st August 2016 and still the problems persists.

it seems others are/have also reporting these same issues on Google Play:

https://goo.gl/EgROXV

pomonabill220

Banned
Reaction score
Well is seems like this on going problem HAS been reported! and yet the problems remain!
Ken used to be excellent with his support and suggestions, but evidently he has hired a team to help out, and that is where the problem is, and will be the downfall of BI.
It is a shame....
And in case some smart a$$ is going to reply, I am looking at more reliable software. Cost should NOT determine reliability in something that is critical.

I have been using BI since 2011, so I am NOT a noobie, and remember when Ken was helpful, VERY helpful!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Well is seems like this on going problem HAS been reported! and yet the problems remain!
Ken used to be excellent with his support and suggestions, but evidently he has hired a team to help out, and that is where the problem is, and will be the downfall of BI.
It is a shame....
And in case some smart a$$ is going to reply, I am looking at more reliable software. Cost should NOT determine reliability in something that is critical.

I have been using BI since 2011, so I am NOT a noobie, and remember when Ken was helpful, VERY helpful!
This "problem" has not been reported. You dont even know if you and the others have the same issue. Blue iris is 100 percent stable and reliable. Your issue is with the remote viewing app on your specific device. Remember that android comes in many flavors and unless its a nexus device it will have manufacture skins on there. So unless YOU are willing to work with support then dont expect your problem to be solved.
Also, there is no way you are going to pay for other vms software. I have seen you around the forums and you are as cheep as they come. It will be a cold day in hell before you shell out 50-150 per camera in licensing fees. Even those costly licenses come with LIMITED support. Do you think there are no issues with expensive software? You dont deserve to be using blue iris and dont appreciate the VALUE that you are getting.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
interesting to note:

frankred: raised this issue and started this thread on 28th April 2016. he also contacted support on 30th April 2016.

today is 31st August 2016 and still the problems persists.

it seems others are/have also reporting these same issues on Google Play:

https://goo.gl/EgROXV
Franked issue was different than yours and he indicated that he hadnt seen it in a while...The google play review was posted by pomonabill...

toolz

n3wb
Reaction score
Ken has promptly responded to my support request and I'm currently in email discussion with him.

I'm gonna try put together a complete 'dossier' of as much info possible and send back to him for analysis etc..

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Ken has promptly responded to my support request and I'm currently in email discussion with him.

I'm gonna try put together a complete 'dossier' of as much info possible and send back to him for analysis etc..
Thanks, let us know what happens.

pomonabill220

Banned
Reaction score
This "problem" has not been reported. You dont even know if you and the others have the same issue. Blue iris is 100 percent stable and reliable. Your issue is with the remote viewing app on your specific device. Remember that android comes in many flavors and unless its a nexus device it will have manufacture skins on there. So unless YOU are willing to work with support then dont expect your problem to be solved.
Also, there is no way you are going to pay for other vms software. I have seen you around the forums and you are as cheep as they come. It will be a cold day in hell before you shell out 50-150 per camera in licensing fees. Even those costly licenses come with LIMITED support. Do you think there are no issues with expensive software? You dont deserve to be using blue iris and dont appreciate the VALUE that you are getting.
I knew you would give a hostile response.

I NEVER said BI was not stable... this thread is about the app.

I have 4 devices that this happens on, NOT just one and NOT just android!

I am NOT cheap either. Just because I am not someone that throws their money away, doesn't mean I am cheap.

I posted several times for constructive answers and help, and all YOU do is post demeaning and nasty responses. Do you have ANY helpful suggestions?

I have every right to use BI, and have done so since 2010/2011 and have always been able to find answers and helpful suggestions to problems, and I have provided my time and help to others that have needed it, WITHOUT being a jacka$$.

I am afraid that you do NOT deserve to be a "moderator" as you don't know how to help, but boy you sure have a sharp tongue and hostile way about you!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I knew you would give a hostile response.

I NEVER said BI was not stable... this thread is about the app.

I have 4 devices that this happens on, NOT just one and NOT just android!

I am NOT cheap either. Just because I am not someone that throws their money away, doesn't mean I am cheap.

I posted several times for constructive answers and help, and all YOU do is post demeaning and nasty responses. Do you have ANY helpful suggestions?

I have every right to use BI, and have done so since 2010/2011 and have always been able to find answers and helpful suggestions to problems, and I have provided my time and help to others that have needed it, WITHOUT being a jacka$$.

I am afraid that you do NOT deserve to be a "moderator" as you don't know how to help, but boy you sure have a sharp tongue and hostile way about you!
You posted in a passive aggressive hostile manner. Need I remind you? "And in case some smart a$$ is going to reply, I am looking at more reliable software. " So you stated that the SOFTWARE was NOT reliable which is a lie.
If this is happening on other devices you have an issue unrelated to blue iris. Problem is you are too lazy to contact support and supply the requisite info. How come toolz has an open dialogue with Ken at the moment and you dont. Remember that these wifi devices are not intended for 24/7 streaming..there are much better ways of achieving this.
My tongue is very sharp. I dont like bullshitters like you. Threaten to use other software. LIAR. You are using 40 dollar foscams cameras. You will NEVER pay for expensive vms software. I will call bullshit when I see it. I challenge you to find more reliable software and to post a copy of your purchase receipt. Never gonna happen.

pomonabill220

Banned
Reaction score
You posted in a passive aggressive hostile manner. Need I remind you? "And in case some smart a$$ is going to reply, I am looking at more reliable software. " So you stated that the SOFTWARE was NOT reliable which is a lie.
If this is happening on other devices you have an issue unrelated to blue iris. Problem is you are too lazy to contact support and supply the requisite info. How come toolz has an open dialogue with Ken at the moment and you dont. Remember that these wifi devices are not intended for 24/7 streaming..there are much better ways of achieving this.
My tongue is very sharp. I dont like bullshitters like you. Threaten to use other software. LIAR. You are using 40 dollar foscams cameras. You will NEVER pay for expensive vms software. I will call bullshit when I see it. I challenge you to find more reliable software and to post a copy of your purchase receipt. Never gonna happen.
And need i remind you of post #7 ???