BI: Ballparking Web UI Bandwidth ?

PeteCress

n3wb
Reaction score
4 cams, each running at 1280 x 720, max FPS.

Can anybody ballpark the per-remote-user bandwith for viewing the cams via the BI web interface?

The backstory is that these cams watch a windsurfing site so that users can view the web interface to see how conditions are instead of calling the on-site shop.

For the past several years, one of the windsurfers, who has a house in the area, has allowed us to put the BI server in that house - connected to the Internet via a Comcast cable modem.... and things have been pretty good.... until Comcast replaced the cable modem....

Now we are Out To Lunch..... trying to TeamViewer into the server, I get 1-2 seconds of connectivity and then the connection drops until TV can reconnect a minute or so later.

Bottom line, the shop owner has decided to explore the possibility of saving $400/year on the Comcast bill by moving the server to the hotel upon whose premises the shop is located.

But the hotel IT guy wants to know how much of their bandwidth we are going to be using - and I have no clue, except that our concurrent remote users seldom, if ever, exceed five people and mostly are only 1-2.

Can anybody come up with a plausible ballpark bandwidth based on that ?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
4 cams, each running at 1280 x 720, max FPS.

Can anybody ballpark the per-remote-user bandwith for viewing the cams via the BI web interface?

The backstory is that these cams watch a windsurfing site so that users can view the web interface to see how conditions are instead of calling the on-site shop.

For the past several years, one of the windsurfers, who has a house in the area, has allowed us to put the BI server in that house - connected to the Internet via a Comcast cable modem.... and things have been pretty good.... until Comcast replaced the cable modem....

Now we are Out To Lunch..... trying to TeamViewer into the server, I get 1-2 seconds of connectivity and then the connection drops until TV can reconnect a minute or so later.

Bottom line, the shop owner has decided to explore the possibility of saving $400/year on the Comcast bill by moving the server to the hotel upon whose premises the shop is located.

But the hotel IT guy wants to know how much of their bandwidth we are going to be using - and I have no clue, except that our concurrent remote users seldom, if ever, exceed five people and mostly are only 1-2.

Can anybody come up with a plausible ballpark bandwidth based on that ?
the webserver allows you to set max bitrate for the profile and even max time and bandwidth on a per user basis.

PeteCress

n3wb
Reaction score
I must be running an older version of BI (4.4.0.1 x64)) because there is no "Advanced" tab on either the Blue Iris Options dialog or on the Blue Iris Options | Web server tab.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I must be running an older version of BI (4.4.0.1 x64)) because there is no "Advanced" tab on either the Blue Iris Options dialog or on the Blue Iris Options | Web server tab.
yes there was an update...but the bitrate limit is available in all versions...near the profile selection..your version is almost 2 years old, you should update.

PeteCress

n3wb
Reaction score
I guess I had better think about updating then - because my version has no "Profile Selection" tab on Blue Iris Options and nothing about profile in the Web server tab.

But updating this site is not trivial - it will involve 180 miles of driving because of ongoing ComCast connectivity issues.

Meanwhile, can anybody hazard a per-user bandwidth guess based on 1280x720 and 30 fps?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I guess I had better think about updating then - because my version has no "Profile Selection" tab on Blue Iris Options and nothing about profile in the Web server tab.

But updating this site is not trivial - it will involve 180 miles of driving because of ongoing ComCast connectivity issues.

Meanwhile, can anybody hazard a per-user bandwidth guess based on 1280x720 and 30 fps?
your version does...every version did...blue iris always had the ability to set 3 different profiles for the webserver so you can remotely select the profile you wish to stream...its right there in the webserver tab...no one can guess as its likely limited in the webserver tab - its that way by default unless you change it..if you have access to change settings then you can update it...

PeteCress

n3wb
Reaction score
OK, I downloaded the 4.7.2.1 upgrade and applied it to my home system.

Now I see Blue Iris Options | Web server | Advanced | Content | Encoder profiles | Streaming 0 | Configure | Rate control | Limit bitrate (best for streaming | Max bitrate (kbps): 1024

I am guessing that is 1024 kbps total, overall bandwidth use by the Web Interface - no matter how many users.

Or is that a per-user number ?

If total, overall, can anybody hazard a guess for, say, five concurrent users to see meaningful (at least 1 fps) motion?

Last edited: