BI Capacity Questions

mycoma

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
With blue iris 4 , running on windows with an i7 4790 quad core 3.6ghz can I record and watch ,16- 3mp ip cams recording at 15fps?
How many cams with direct to disk would be safe on this system?

What Internet download and upload speed would be suitable to playback:
4 -3mp ip cams recording at 15fps?
8 -3mp ip cams recording at 15fps?
16 -3mp ip cams recording at 15fps?

Thanks

ruppmeister

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You are running a processor that scores pretty high on the PassMark tests @ 10,069. From what others are saying they get out of similar processors, you should be able to get all 16 cams up and running. You might have to bump down the FPS to something like 10 but can't be sure unless you give it a try.

Not sure about the Internet speed. BI allows you to control the streamed content in terms of quality and max bitrate so you can adjust for your specific connections. These options are found in Blue Iris Options > Web Server > Encoder Profiles (Configure)

corkangel76

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I had the same CPU, and couldn't get it to support 5 1080p Hikvision Cameras at 20fps... so good luck if you can. I ended up going with an NVR for 24x7 backup and using BI for motion events,

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I had the same CPU, and couldn't get it to support 5 1080p Hikvision Cameras at 20fps... so good luck if you can. I ended up going with an NVR for 24x7 backup and using BI for motion events,
Something was very wrong with your system. I have a system running 26mp (mix of dahua and hikvisions) most 15fps, some 20, its using 34% on an i7-4770...
I have a bunch of i5-3450S systems running 12mp total that use about 30 percent or so..
OP is pushing the limits with 48mp..i would run as many as i can at 2mp..

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
My system is an i7-3770k (not overclocked) and I run 66 megapixels (20 cams, various resolutions) on it with 30-40% CPU usage. But this is only achieved by using every trick in the book to reduce CPU usage. Direct to disk and low frame rates. Most of my cams are running just 3 to 6 FPS! Blue Iris running in service mode. CPU usage goes up to 45-55% if I load the web interface. I like to keep the CPU usage low like this because it leaves room for me to use my java app for live view when I am at home.

Your internet speed is not really relevant for Blue Iris. 1 camera or 16 cameras will use the same amount of bandwidth for remote viewing, because you will always be pulling just one video stream, not 16 streams.

ruppmeister

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Your internet speed is not really relevant for Blue Iris. 1 camera or 16 cameras will use the same amount of bandwidth for remote viewing, because you will always be pulling just one video stream, not 16 streams.
Is the bandwidth of the connection to BI not determined by your JPEG quality though? The better resolution of JPEGs you ask BI for, the higher the bandwidth required?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Your bandwidth just determines the frame rate of the jpeg video. You would need really high speed, like 20 Mbps or better, before you started running into the limit of how fast Blue Iris could produce the jpeg frames.

ruppmeister

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Well I'll be damned! Now I know why I have been screaming through so much data. I thought some of the settings in BI that I was using was reducing my bandwidth usage. It sounds like you are saying that in mucking with my settings that I am only changing the quality of the JPEG and BI is going to serve them up as fast (frame rate) as my connection will allow and saturate the outgoing bandwidth when I access BI through web page?

MartyO

Banned
Reaction score
To Fend and BP: What are your total camera bitrate when summing columns in camera status? thanks