BI causes slow response or disconnection of wireless cams

Rick Rick

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Recently BI has started causing my wireless cameras to be very slow in response or disconnect. I have reproduced this many times. I can bring all my wireless cams up in browsers and no problem. I start BI and try and access them and they get unresponsive. I have 3 wireless cams and 7 wired. My CPU usage with BI has actually dropped from around 58% to 37%. Has anyone seen this problem?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
It's the cameras or your network...the web interface doesn't use the same rtsp protocol as blue iris or any other third party streaming software uses....try one camera only...if it works fine then it's the network...blue iris cannot affect the camera performance

Rick Rick

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It's the cameras or your network...the web interface doesn't use the same rtsp protocol as blue iris or any other third party streaming software uses....try one camera only...if it works fine then it's the network...blue iris cannot affect the camera performance
Yeah it could be something with my network, but it only happens if I start BI. I can repeat this over and over again.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah it could be something with my network, but it only happens if I start BI. I can repeat this over and over again.
Exactly for the reasons stated...same will happen if your stream all cams to vlc ..

GFM

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I seem to be having an issue too after updating earlier today. Cameras live video is ok but recordings are very poor quality. Settings are all the same as before, but it's like the bit rate dropped to super low. Network seems fine, gigabit between other devices is no problem. Wireless or wired, no difference.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I seem to be having an issue too after updating earlier today. Cameras live video is ok but recordings are very poor quality. Settings are all the same as before, but it's like the bit rate dropped to super low. Network seems fine, gigabit between other devices is no problem. Wireless or wired, no difference.
Completely different symptoms..

Rick Rick

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Exactly for the reasons stated...same will happen if your stream all cams to vlc ..
Don't know what reasons you are referring to. Bottom like BI is doing something that affects the network a lot or specifically the wireless. Can't figure what that could be. Anyone have an idea? I can run all cams in browsers with no problem. Something specific to running BI.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Don't know what reasons you are referring to. Bottom like BI is doing something that affects the network a lot or specifically the wireless. Can't figure what that could be. Anyone have an idea? I can run all cams in browsers with no problem. Something specific to running BI.
Read again.. blue iris does nothing other than pulling the rtsp stream.. browser is using a different protocol....it's your cams or network...

Last edited:

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Is it possible your router has developed a recent issue with handling high bandwidth / high packet count on the LAN?

I have to power-cycle my router about every 3 to 6 months to get it out of an issue where the LAN slows to a crawl. I really need to check for a firmware update but you know how that goes..... I need to get a "round tuit".

Rick Rick

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Is it possible your router has developed a recent issue with handling high bandwidth / high packet count on the LAN?

I have to power-cycle my router about every 3 to 6 months to get it out of an issue where the LAN slows to a crawl. I really need to check for a firmware update but you know how that goes..... I need to get a "round tuit".

Yeah I had already done that before I posted the thread. But your post made me think about it again. I realized that I had rebooted the router but I forgot that I had an extender. So this morning I tried rebooting the extender and all the cameras using the wireless on that extender. It seems that this helped. So far the cameras are responding good with BI. Thanks