BI computer over WiFi vs hardwired

Dasstrum

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I currently have my Blue Iris dedicated computer setup wired directly into my router. I've never tried to do anything over wifi.

Sorry if this is a stupid question but is it possible to run the BlueIris machine over wifi instead of being plugged in directly. What would be the drawbacks of doing it this way?

I'm looking to help a friend and where he wants to put the computer it would be a huge pita to run a cat5e cable from his router to the spot he wants to put the PC.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I currently have my Blue Iris dedicated computer setup wired directly into my router. I've never tried to do anything over wifi.

Sorry if this is a stupid question but is it possible to run the BlueIris machine over wifi instead of being plugged in directly. What would be the drawbacks of doing it this way?

I'm looking to help a friend and where he wants to put the computer it would be a huge pita to run a cat5e cable from his router to the spot he wants to put the PC.
bad idea...wifi is unreliable and streaming all those cams to bi will be problematic...hire a professional to run cable inwall...the 100-150 will be the best money ever spent.

Dasstrum

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
bad idea...wifi is unreliable and streaming all those cams to bi will be problematic...hire a professional to run cable inwall...the 100-150 will be the best money ever spent.
Oh I have the tools and knowledge to run the cat5 cable so that's not an issue. I just didn't know how BI acted over wifi or if anyone ever tried this. Guess I'll just have to suck it up and run the wire ><

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Oh I have the tools and knowledge to run the cat5 cable so that's not an issue. I just didn't know how BI acted over wifi or if anyone ever tried this. Guess I'll just have to suck it up and run the wire ><
...you will save yourself lots of trouble..

Reaction score
My computer that is running BI is WiFi and it always crashes after a while. I have been lurking on here trying to find a solution i.e., Changing cams to Direct to Disk, running as a service, etc. Could this be my issue? I really don't want to get rid of BI cause it is awesome, but I really need it to be stable if it is going to be security cams.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
My computer that is running BI is WiFi and it always crashes after a while. I have been lurking on here trying to find a solution i.e., Changing cams to Direct to Disk, running as a service, etc. Could this be my issue? I really don't want to get rid of BI cause it is awesome, but I really need it to be stable if it is going to be security cams.
not likely...do a CLEAN windows install and dedicate the pc to blue iris...blue iris is extremely stable if you follow those basic rules

Reaction score
Ok thanks Fenderman! I think I may end up building a dedicated system to put near the router.

Reaction score
Thanks for all the quick replies. I will check it all out. Penguin I agree, I wasn't using it for stuff like this originally, but sounds like I'm out of excuses.

jmh8743

n3wb
Reaction score
my experience with cable is same; however, i was told cat6 could make a 100ft drop. it cant. learning every day. this isnt my business, just retarded and trying to protect property. ya'll have helped this old buzzard.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
my experience with cable is same; however, i was told cat6 could make a 100ft drop. it cant. learning every day. this isnt my business, just retarded and trying to protect property. ya'll have helped this old buzzard.
cat6 can be pushed to at least 328 feet, that is the spec and in many instances much more than that...

jmh8743

n3wb
Reaction score
a 100' catenary. i'll post a pic. seems easy, it is not. in my humble opinion, wind stretches wire, changes impedance. oh well. fat lady not done. now old lap top is maxing out... thanks for comment.

Last edited:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
a 100' catenary. i'll post a pic. seems easy, it is not. in my humble opinion, wind stretches wire, changes impedance. oh well. fat lady not done. now old lap top is maxing out...
Please that is nonsense. You either use junk CCA cable or did not properly make the connection to the plug and/or not to the 568 spec..

jmh8743

n3wb
Reaction score
Easy now.....no insult intended. Worked o/s then quit. moved i/s worked. just tell me Im incorrect. I'm here to learn. If I am in wrong place, tell me to leave. Is this junk? in your opinion. Once again, I'm new to this.cat6.JPG

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Easy now.....no insult intended. Worked o/s then quit. moved i/s worked. just tell me Im incorrect. I'm here to learn. If I am in wrong place, tell me to leave. Is this junk? in your opinion. Once again, I'm new to this.View attachment 18097
The oh god referenced the crap install. That said, it should still work..did you use the 568 wiring standard? did you make proper crimp connections? Your install is likely messed up.
There is no question that cat6 will work 328 feet despite being suspended like that.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
should be using outdoor cabling when exposed to UV; thats indoor cabling.. the sun will destroy the insulators when exposed in in direct sunlight all day long w/out UV Stabilizers; most OD cable is black and heaver duty, ive strung it further than that w/out issue.. have a Ubiquiti Access point hooked up on a barn like that at my Father in Law's, should be about 10 years old now.