BI constant crashing on start

IPconfused

n3wb
Reaction score
Downloaded the trial version of BI three days ago; got camera in today and now BI crashes everytime I try to start it. It did not begin this behavior with the installation of the camera and not after any particular event. I'm an experienced (old) incremental development guy, but due to outside events, I need to get up to speed quickly. Running 64 bit Windows 7. Dahua HFW4300S w/ 3.6 lens. TP link POE switch, cheap I know, but intend to use it for development only. Verified Cat6 cable.

Anybody got a suggestion; failure is not an option.

IPconfused

Mike

Staff member
Reaction score
If you remove the camera does it still happen? You may want to uninstall then reinstall blue iris. I'm not positive but I don't think that will effect the demo.

IPconfused

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks, I did a clean reinstall. The crashing stopped but now in on the main camera screen the software spawns x^12! daughter windows. It looks like your staring into two mirrors 180 degrees apart.
So far I've had a bad cable; a bad port on the POE switch (LEDs said port was receiving power, it just wasn't) and the two software problems.

I love it! Brute strength and ignorance will prevail (eventually).

Mike

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks, I did a clean reinstall. The crashing stopped but now in on the main camera screen the software spawns x^12! daughter windows. It looks like your staring into two mirrors 180 degrees apart.
So far I've had a bad cable; a bad port on the POE switch (LEDs said port was receiving power, it just wasn't) and the two software problems.

I love it! Brute strength and ignorance will prevail (eventually).
These are some funky issues you are having, great determination though :D Is the camera back on BI at this point? Does it happen if it's not not on BI? Are there any firewalls on the system that could be causing some funny business?

IPconfused

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks again Mike,
Windows firewall off, Norton 360 firewall on/off still happens. Camera connected/disconnected still happens. Not connected to BI now. About 2am uninstalled BI and took a break (zzzz's). Got the idea with the reinstall there might be two instances of a subroutine (sorry, I still think in Fortran) that were being called, creating what used to be called a nested loop. Not giving up on BI, just looking for a coupon for % off retail (old and cheap).
When I was making the decision to purchase my first ipcam, got down to a choice between Dahua and Hikvision, notice majority of your cams are Hikvision. I basically flipped a coin and bought a Dahua, major difference or not?
Anyway, I hated to uninstall BI (had 12 days left on Demo), but sometimes tis easier to start a clean install, rather than chasing gemlins.

IPconfused

n3wb
Reaction score
Update on constant crashing!
Finally I did what I knew I should. Got some new cables, revived an old Win 7 box, bought the full version of BI and carefully read the manual (first part anyway). Had BI up, running, connected in 30 minutes. Sending email alerts and messages 10 minutes later. Ordered more cameras today, due in Friday. Only small thing bugging me right now is I have two time and date stamps on the live screen. One correct, one about 40 minutes behind; one in 12 hour format the other in 24??
Thanks Mike for the wisdom and encouragement.

beepsilver

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
You probably have a timestamp from your camera and one from BI. You can edit/delete your BI timestamp by going to your camera's properties/Video/Text and Graphics Overlays. Also, I've seen those daughter windows popup when selecting screen capture as a device type (properties/video) instead of Network IP.

Mike

Staff member
Reaction score
Update on constant crashing!
Finally I did what I knew I should. Got some new cables, revived an old Win 7 box, bought the full version of BI and carefully read the manual (first part anyway). Had BI up, running, connected in 30 minutes. Sending email alerts and messages 10 minutes later. Ordered more cameras today, due in Friday. Only small thing bugging me right now is I have two time and date stamps on the live screen. One correct, one about 40 minutes behind; one in 12 hour format the other in 24??
Thanks Mike for the wisdom and encouragement.
Sounds like your camera and Blue Iris both have the time overlaid on the video feed and one of them is off. In Blue Iris, right click the camera and click "Camera properties", then "Videos'. On the bottom you will see "Text and Graphic Overlays", click the "Edit" button. There you will see the time on the video feed. You can click it and click "Delete" to remove it. If your camera outputs the date / time I would use that over Blue Iris, it will save some system resources :D

IPconfused

n3wb
Reaction score
Old and slow, but a few moments when tired brain cells get excited and bounce around.