BI coversion offload

Tayschrenn

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I've another thread in the troubleshooting are, but as a quick question - is there a way to offload BVR conversions to another box? My i3-7100T handles ingest well but trying to convert for archival purposes is a PITA - and i can't get handbrake or such to convert the bvr to mp4, or i'd just script it.

Thoughts?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I've another thread in the troubleshooting are, but as a quick question - is there a way to offload BVR conversions to another box? My i3-7100T handles ingest well but trying to convert for archival purposes is a PITA - and i can't get handbrake or such to convert the bvr to mp4, or i'd just script it.

Thoughts?
No. There is no reason to waste resources converting BVR files. Just store them as bvr. You can always covert them later if the need arises.

Tayschrenn

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Bvr is 4k for me, I'm trying to archive them at 1080. Using the built in conversion during a move to a other drive just slams my cpu

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Bvr is 4k for me, I'm trying to archive them at 1080. Using the built in conversion during a move to a other drive just slams my cpu
How much space are you actually saving? If your camera supports a second HD stream you can record that second stream at a lower bitrate and save to a different folder that archives it for longer.

Tayschrenn

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I suppose that's a fair question, I haven't done enough testing to verify - but in terms of overall usage it's averaging around 3-4gb/hour per camera.

My more detailed post is here on my setup / goals - or at least initial goals. I'm new to this so constructive criticism is excellent =) - such as, I've been doing two of my cameras 24/7 but the space needed is a bit crazy until I can get one/both of my servers setup with 3.5" deeper storage.

1Tb goes away really, really quick LOL