BI crashes, what camera settings does BI like, and does not like?

toastie

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Does Blue Iris have certain specifications of what video feed it receives from a camera, above which it complains with indigestion by crashing Blue Iris? The BI administrator, you, is then required to scale back the video feed BI receives from a camera to stop BI crashing.
I perceive a trend as the technology advances for IP cameras to have both good low light performance and with higher megapixel capabilities, 4MP or even higher. Please post if you believe my impression is incorrect.
There is the question from a security perspective where does having a high megapixel camera greater than 2MP offer a signiicant advantage, or is still just having 2MP cameras adequate?

I recently added a 4MP mini Dahua PTZ which seems to crash BI if I push up the resolution fed to BI above 1080p.

What IP cameras above 2MP are being successfully used in Blue Iris? Is there an upper limit that BI will accept, your Frame Rate (FPS), i Frame rate, bit rate would be helpful.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Many folks here are running 4MP and above just fine with BI. I have the 5442 series and 4K/x cameras going just fine at full resolution.

Have you followed the recommendations in the wiki?

It sounds like a specific instance with that camera. List the model and screenshots of your BI settings for that camera and see if someone else has that particular camera going in BI and can compare settings.

toastie

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thanks wittaj for your post and confirmation that BI can handle 4MP and above.
Most of my cameras were set on 15fps and i-frame rate 15fps with CBR, one which looks at fast passing traffic is on 20/20fps CBR, most were set at 1080p. Following your help I revisited my camera settings and set the maximum resolution within each camera's capabilities. What I did tweak was each camera's bit rate based on advice from Hikvision for each my cameras at my chosen fps, and then too my interpretation for my Dahua cameras.

Things have improved, I've had no BI crashes and the fast passing traffic on one camera is displayed significantly more smooth.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Does Blue Iris have certain specifications of what video feed it receives from a camera, above which it complains with indigestion by crashing Blue Iris? The BI administrator, you, is then required to scale back the video feed BI receives from a camera to stop BI crashing.
I perceive a trend as the technology advances for IP cameras to have both good low light performance and with higher megapixel capabilities, 4MP or even higher. Please post if you believe my impression is incorrect.
There is the question from a security perspective where does having a high megapixel camera greater than 2MP offer a signiicant advantage, or is still just having 2MP cameras adequate?

I recently added a 4MP mini Dahua PTZ which seems to crash BI if I push up the resolution fed to BI above 1080p.

What IP cameras above 2MP are being successfully used in Blue Iris? Is there an upper limit that BI will accept, your Frame Rate (FPS), i Frame rate, bit rate would be helpful.
test with hardware acceleration disabled.

DanDenver

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I run BI with 16 cameras and most are 4MP. Several are 8MP and one is 12MP. I run 8000 to 12000 CBR bit rate on all of them for mainstream. All cameras are at 10FPS with I-Frame rate of 10. I have no issues, even with 4 continuous use clients and one dedicated monitor. It is all fluent, clear and jitter free at all times.

DanDenver

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
does having a high megapixel camera greater than 2MP offer a signiicant advantage
No.
I use my 12MP 1.7 sensor camera for wildlife captures as it does not compare very well to my 4MP 1.8 sensor for night time movement captures.
Meaning I choose to have a better camera where security concerns may exist - which for night time movement captures between these two cameras is the 4MP 1.8 sensor

I though that 12MP would kick ass and paid about $800 for it. But that is just not the case. It does not suck per se, but compared to the 4MP 1.8 at 1/3 of the price there is no comparison in performance on which is better (again, for night time movement captures).

So my expensive 12MP became my squirrel cam. But I would not use it to capture someone trying to approach my house (again, at night)