BI crashing when I try to zoom in on a camera under review?

area651

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I'm wondering if its just setting of mine causing this or if anyone else is encountering this issue.

Each morning I'll pull up a group of cameras (outside front) and roll back the timeline to the previous night (10pm for example) and then press "play" (normal speed or even accelerated so I'm not sitting her watching it for 10hrs). When I see something of interest, I'll want to enlarge that one camera to have a closer look. If I double click that one cam (from the palette of 4 cams on the screen) then BI will crash, saying "Blue Iris Video Security & Webacm Software has stopped working. Windows will now close the program......etcetcetc".

This will happen if I pause the playback video feed and then try to focus on that one camera or if I just try to enlarge the view by clicking that one cam without pausing.

What I've learned I have to do is:
notice the time when I want to zoom in
crash the program or just exit back to real time
set the view up on that one camera only and then back the timeline for that one cam to the time I want to focus on.

Does anyone else see this behavior? Or maybe it could just be a setting somewhere I guess. (Its been like this for a year I know so I don't think its the latest release. I'm on 5.2.0.4 btw)

area651

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
polite bump after 24 hrs. is anyone else seeing this issue?

Answer even if its just "nah....no problem here".

It helps direct me that the issue is my own system

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
No problem here BI 5.2.0.5 .. just upgraded today.

I ran the exact test as you specified, i did a group at normal speed play back then clicked on camera, then used the mouse wheel to zoom in an out.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
lets do some screen shots.
Please provide a screen shots. full frame (use windows 10 snip & sketch tool)
1) windows task manager process tab sorted by memory (most at the top),
2) Blue Iris Setting about tab
3) Blue iris status clip storage
4) blue Iris status cameras

Also what CPU and memory are you running.

area651

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Here we go. I'm not sure what it could be. I think my proc/memory is all good. I have plenty of storage. Fwiw, I store everything local for one day and then it gets moved to the NAS. I woudlnt think that would be it as this happens when I watch a video from last night. (I could guess that would be it if I was rewinding my timeline back several days maybe...)

1.JPG
2.JPG
3.JPG

4.JPG
5.JPG

6.JPG

7.JPG

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
All that looks ok to me. You are a little high on your total system memory usage for only 8 GB memory.
Do you use a pre allocated page file in windows 10 ?

If you try zoom on the current full screen image does that work.
If you back up only one hour and zoom does that work ?

Have you looked at the windows event log for any indication of the crash ? If so what does the event log show.

area651

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
ok I think I may have narrowed it down. Since I was only keeping "1 day" of video files on the local machine, I think since I was looking at last night (which includes some "yesterday") then it was having to pull from the NAS. Apparently BI doesnt like that. I've set the New folder to limit clip age to 2 days now and THEN it should be moving anything older onto the NAS for storage.

I went ahead and deleted everything older than 2 days and so far, it's looking good. We'll see after a couple of days.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That is why I asked the one hour question !
side note get more memory for the PC if possible

My Standard storage and allocation post.

1) Do not use time (limit clip age)to determine when BI video files are moved or deleted, only use space, Keep life simple and use your disk space.
2) If New and stored are on the same disk drive do not used stored, set the stored size to zero, set the new folder to delete, not move. All it does is waste CPU time and increase the number of disk writes. You can leave the stored folder on the drive just do not use it.
3) Never allocate over 90% of the total disk drive to BI.
4) if using continuous recording on the BI camera settings, record tab, set the combine and cut video to 1 hour or 4 GB, big files are hard to deal with
5) it is recommend to NOT store video on an SSD (the C: drive).
6) Do not run the disk defragmenter on the video storage disk drives.