BI digital outputs with alerts

jknutter

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm having trouble setting up Digital outputs that trigger when movement is detected on a camera. I have found a ton of write ups on using Arduino to send a bit to BI to trigger an event (EI: camera record) but I cannot find anything on BI sending a bit out to an Arduino.

My system: I have 3 points of entry to my home: Front door, French doors, garage service door. There are three outside cameras, one viewing each door and one PTZ Sony camera inside monitoring the main floor.

My Goal: If BI detects movement on any of the three outdoor cameras it will a send a bit (1, 2, or 3) to the Arduino. The Arduino will read the Bit and decide which alarm output to turn on for the PTZ camera. The PTZ camera will then move to whatever position was programmed to that alarm input. So in theory if a bad guy move across my deck that outdoor camera will pick up his movement, BI will send a signal the Arduino, the Arduino will tell the PTZ camera movement was detected on the deck camera. The PTZ camera will move to view the inside of the French doors. That way I should have video of both sides of any door where movement was detected outside.

The current setup: On Blue Iris: 1) Settings, Digital I/O tab, open Arduino on com port 8 is checked. 2) Each of the three outdoor cameras Properties, Alerts tab, write to a digital output checked. Com port 8 set for 9600 Baud, 8 bits, parity: none, Stop bit:1. The Arduino is connected to the BI computer by a USB Cable (com port#8). I have a simple serial read code loaded on the Arduino to listen for a ASCII code 1-3. When serial.read sees codes 1-3 it will make the corresponding output 1-3 high for 15 seconds. Arduino outputs pins connected through relays to the Sony PTZ Camera alarm inputs 1-3. Sony programmed to move to positions 1-3 depending on which input is detected.

The issue: It doesn't work... I can use a serial monitor and input bits 1 through 3 directly into the Arduino and the PTZ camera moves to the correct position so that part is okay. But also using that monitor to read from the PC I'm not getting anything from the BI software. So even though I'm 99% sure the BI software and communication settings are set up okay it seems that BI is NOT sending any digital bits serially to the Arduino.

Thanks for any help!

Last edited by a moderator: