BI direct-to-disk question

myipcam

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I am looking at the software part now and wondering about the quick-sync requirement for BI. Is this to help in decode/playback? Thought is that if direct to disk recording is enabled, the stream is not processed or encoded so, what's the role of quick-sync during recording?

myipcam

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Oh yeah, forgot about that. Thanks!
Looking at features of some of the NVR software, BI seems pretty good. Another question I have is about stability. How often does this fail/glitch/function out of scope...? How frequent does the PC running this is restarted? If the software is good, it should never need to be. Also, the memory leak issue mentioned in cliff notes still valid for the latest version?

DognamedTank

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Once I've tuned my cameras, I have had my BI machine run for months without a restart. It is usually a windows update or other software update that drives me to restart. The memory leak comes down to the Intel driver version and integrated graphics version. I haven't had an issue with it.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Oh yeah, forgot about that. Thanks!
Looking at features of some of the NVR software, BI seems pretty good. Another question I have is about stability. How often does this fail/glitch/function out of scope...? How frequent does the PC running this is restarted? If the software is good, it should never need to be. Also, the memory leak issue mentioned in cliff notes still valid for the latest version?
Mine has ran as long as 90 days, without a reboot. Then it was rebooted for other reasons, not from any issue's.

Last edited:

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I've had no problems with the memory leak on Intel's video driver (but I have a pretty old processor), and I've never had to reboot because BI was acting squirrely.

One of the things I really like about BI is that it receives frequent updates, often adding new features. It's not often, but sometimes a new update will cause problems on some systems. For that reason, I recommend two things ... do NOT enable the feature that allows it to automatically update itself ... do the updates manually whenever you're ready to upgrade ... and always keep a copy of the previous update installer. If you do happen to run into an odd issue, it usually takes less than a minute to revert to the previous version. There's even a little utility that someone here wrote that will automatically rename BI updates in the BI folder so you have a history of previous updates.