BI - hp 800 g3 i5 7500 - Power usage - Detection and scaling/relocating

Stephan06

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi all, this is a mouth full information in the title but thought I would put my feelers out to see what experienced users found.

1) I have elderly parents living in a large home in a country with high crimes rates. ( need at least 4 cameras)
2) They may be relocating/ downsizing in the next 3-5 years
3) Planning to get the hp 800 g3 as network recording - AI handling.
4) Nescam issues are the constant upload as they have only 50gig/month internet usage
5) Dahua wieless cameras starlight and detection with BI worth it? Should I opt for 2 wireless and 2 fixed starlight cameras so they can take the wireless ones with when they move?
6) Can Blue iris detect people crawling on all fours under alarm beams re zone crossing? This is how intruders currently bypass alarm beams by crawling on all fours or stomach when does not set off alarms due to "pet friendly" modes
7) Will BI detect the intruder only on face recognition even if they do crawl?
8) Will 2 wireless cameras not interfere too much on bandwidth - detection sensitivity?
9) Power usage is another issue but I assume one can set Blue Iris to only record when motion/humans/zone crossing detected hence it will save some power vs 24/7 recording?
10) Is the dahua wireless camera with mic and speakers worth it compared to the nestcam?
11) Also I do I live in a different country so I can't run over there for admin or network/ moving and setting up again.
12) Power failures are common but they do have a ups that could keep things going for 3 hours

Thanks

Last edited:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Answers:

1) I have elderly parents living in a large home in a country with high crimes rates. ( need at least 4 cameras) - You will need more than 4 cameras.
2) They may be relocating/ downsizing in the next 3-5 years - Do you plan to have them take cameras with them?
3) Planning to get the hp 800 g3 as network recording - AI handling. - That will work fine.
4) Nescam issues are the constant upload as they have only 50gig/month internet usage - consumer grade junk as well.
5) Dahua wieless cameras starlight and detection with BI worth it? Should I opt for 2 wireless and 2 fixed starlight cameras so they can take the wireless ones with when they move? Wifi and surveillance cameras do not go together. Consumer routers cannot keep up with the 24/7 demand of these cameras. They do not buffer like Netflix. Consumer junk like Ring and Nest play a lot of games to make it work - like only on motion detection or when you open the app is it transmitting. Most people have found that once there is motion, it can't keep up. Go with wired, otherwise you will have constant lost signals in BI.
6) Can Blue iris detect people crawling on all fours under alarm beams re zone crossing? This is how intruders currently bypass alarm beams by crawling on all fours or stomach when does not set off alarms due to "pet friendly" modes You can set up BI to record as sensitive as you want it to be.
7) Will BI detect the intruder only on face recognition even if they do crawl? Face recognition is kinda gimmicky.
8) Will 2 wireless cameras not interfere too much on bandwidth - detection sensitivity? See above - it will be nothing but trouble. The cameras need power anyway, so either POE it or get a powerline adapter to run the data thru the electric lines. Anything but wifi unless you do the ubiquity nanostation dedicated wifi, but it gets expensive and can be jammed like wifi.
9) Power usage is another issue but I assume one can set Blue Iris to only record when motion/humans/zone crossing detected hence it will save some power vs 24/7 recording? The computer is running 24/7 regardless, not much more power to simply record 24/7, plus you ensure you don't miss something.
10) Is the dahua wireless camera with mic and speakers worth it compared to the nestcam? Again, stay away from wifi, but Dahua cams will blow Nestcams out of the water. However, they are not the simple scan a QR code and you are good to go. It takes setting up the camera and dialing it in to the field of view. You do not want to run default settings. If you are looking for that level of simplicity, then stay with consumer grade big box store systems.
11) Also I do I live in a different country so I can't run over there for admin or network/ moving and setting up again. You could remote in to the system, but obviously someone needs to install the gear.
12) Power failures are common but they do have a ups that could keep things going for 3 hours That will certainly help.

Some additional thoughts:

You need to identify the areas you want to cover and pick a camera designed to cover that distance. In some instances, it may be a 2MP or 4MP that is the right camera. DO NOT CHASE MP!!!

Here are my general distance recommendations, but switch out the Dahua 5442 series camera to the equivalent 2MP on the 1/2.8" sensor or equivalent Hikvision works as well.
  • 5442 fixed lens 2.8mm or the 4K/X - anything within 10 feet of camera OR as an overview camera
  • 5442 ZE - varifocal - distances up to 40-50 feet (personally I wouldn't go past the 30 foot range but I like things closer)
  • 5442 Z4E - anything up to 80-100 feet (personally I wouldn't go past 60 feet but I like things closer)
  • 5241-Z12E - anything from 80 feet to almost 200 feet (personally I wouldn't go past 150 feet because I like things closer)
  • 5241-Z12E - for a license plate cam that you would angle up the street to get plates up to about 175 feet away, or up to 220 with additional IR.
  • 49225 PTZ - great auto-track PTZ and in conjunction with an NVR or Blue Iris and the cameras above that you can use as spotter cams to point the PTZ to the correct location to compliment the fixed cams.
You need to get the correct camera for the area trying to be covered. A wide angle 2.8mm to IDENTIFY someone 40 feet away is the wrong camera regardless of how good the camera is. A 2.8mm camera to IDENTIFY someone within 10 feet is a good choice OR it is an overview camera to see something happened but not be able to identify who.

One camera cannot be the be all, see all. Each one is selected for covering a specific area. Most of us here have different brands and types, from fixed cams, to varifocals, to PTZs, each one selected for it's primary purpose and to utilize the strength of that particular camera.

So you will need to identify the distance the camera would be from the activities you want to IDENTIFY on and purchase the correct camera for that distance as an optical zoom.

If you want to see things far away, you need optical zoom, digital zoom only works in the movies and TV...And the optical zoom is done real time - for a varifocal it is a set it and forget it. You cannot go to recorded video and optically zoom in later, at that point it is digital zoom, and the sensors on these cameras are so small which is why digital zoom doesn't work very well after the fact.

If you go with Dahua, most of us here recommend purchasing from @EMPIRETECANDY a member here that sells Dahua OEM from his Amazon or AliExpress store.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Stephan06

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Cheers wittaj, very comprehensive answer. I have some reading to do. Much appreciated. I think the issue with some out of the box solutions is the false alarms as if you get too many people turn it off. Trying to make it easy so they can get alerts on their phone. Extra set of eyes at night while asleep. Thanks you!

Stephan06

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Answers:

1) I have elderly parents living in a large home in a country with high crimes rates. ( need at least 4 cameras) - You will need more than 4 cameras.
2) They may be relocating/ downsizing in the next 3-5 years - Do you plan to have them take cameras with them?
3) Planning to get the hp 800 g3 as network recording - AI handling. - That will work fine.
4) Nescam issues are the constant upload as they have only 50gig/month internet usage - consumer grade junk as well.
5) Dahua wieless cameras starlight and detection with BI worth it? Should I opt for 2 wireless and 2 fixed starlight cameras so they can take the wireless ones with when they move? Wifi and surveillance cameras do not go together. Consumer routers cannot keep up with the 24/7 demand of these cameras. They do not buffer like Netflix. Consumer junk like Ring and Nest play a lot of games to make it work - like only on motion detection or when you open the app is it transmitting. Most people have found that once there is motion, it can't keep up. Go with wired, otherwise you will have constant lost signals in BI.
6) Can Blue iris detect people crawling on all fours under alarm beams re zone crossing? This is how intruders currently bypass alarm beams by crawling on all fours or stomach when does not set off alarms due to "pet friendly" modes You can set up BI to record as sensitive as you want it to be.
7) Will BI detect the intruder only on face recognition even if they do crawl? Face recognition is kinda gimmicky.
8) Will 2 wireless cameras not interfere too much on bandwidth - detection sensitivity? See above - it will be nothing but trouble. The cameras need power anyway, so either POE it or get a powerline adapter to run the data thru the electric lines. Anything but wifi unless you do the ubiquity nanostation dedicated wifi, but it gets expensive and can be jammed like wifi.
9) Power usage is another issue but I assume one can set Blue Iris to only record when motion/humans/zone crossing detected hence it will save some power vs 24/7 recording? The computer is running 24/7 regardless, not much more power to simply record 24/7, plus you ensure you don't miss something.
10) Is the dahua wireless camera with mic and speakers worth it compared to the nestcam? Again, stay away from wifi, but Dahua cams will blow Nestcams out of the water. However, they are not the simple scan a QR code and you are good to go. It takes setting up the camera and dialing it in to the field of view. You do not want to run default settings. If you are looking for that level of simplicity, then stay with consumer grade big box store systems.
11) Also I do I live in a different country so I can't run over there for admin or network/ moving and setting up again. You could remote in to the system, but obviously someone needs to install the gear.
12) Power failures are common but they do have a ups that could keep things going for 3 hours That will certainly help.

Some additional thoughts:

You need to identify the areas you want to cover and pick a camera designed to cover that distance. In some instances, it may be a 2MP or 4MP that is the right camera. DO NOT CHASE MP!!!

Here are my general distance recommendations, but switch out the Dahua 5442 series camera to the equivalent 2MP on the 1/2.8" sensor or equivalent Hikvision works as well.
  • 5442 fixed lens 2.8mm or the 4K/X - anything within 10 feet of camera OR as an overview camera
  • 5442 ZE - varifocal - distances up to 40-50 feet (personally I wouldn't go past the 30 foot range but I like things closer)
  • 5442 Z4E - anything up to 80-100 feet (personally I wouldn't go past 60 feet but I like things closer)
  • 5241-Z12E - anything from 80 feet to almost 200 feet (personally I wouldn't go past 150 feet because I like things closer)
  • 5241-Z12E - for a license plate cam that you would angle up the street to get plates up to about 175 feet away, or up to 220 with additional IR.
  • 49225 PTZ - great auto-track PTZ and in conjunction with an NVR or Blue Iris and the cameras above that you can use as spotter cams to point the PTZ to the correct location to compliment the fixed cams.
You need to get the correct camera for the area trying to be covered. A wide angle 2.8mm to IDENTIFY someone 40 feet away is the wrong camera regardless of how good the camera is. A 2.8mm camera to IDENTIFY someone within 10 feet is a good choice OR it is an overview camera to see something happened but not be able to identify who.

One camera cannot be the be all, see all. Each one is selected for covering a specific area. Most of us here have different brands and types, from fixed cams, to varifocals, to PTZs, each one selected for it's primary purpose and to utilize the strength of that particular camera.

So you will need to identify the distance the camera would be from the activities you want to IDENTIFY on and purchase the correct camera for that distance as an optical zoom.

If you want to see things far away, you need optical zoom, digital zoom only works in the movies and TV...And the optical zoom is done real time - for a varifocal it is a set it and forget it. You cannot go to recorded video and optically zoom in later, at that point it is digital zoom, and the sensors on these cameras are so small which is why digital zoom doesn't work very well after the fact.

If you go with Dahua, most of us here recommend purchasing from @EMPIRETECANDY a member here that sells Dahua OEM from his Amazon or AliExpress store.
Hi , just circling back on this, the hp 800 g3 has got 8gb of Ram,.
1)So the question on this is , will they still be able to use this same pc to do some web surfing, youtube, skype etc. or would the 8gb Ram mostly be used by the cameras hence I should opt for 16gb?
2) Should I install a purple surveillance hard drive or will a normal HD do for the video recording and other file storage?
Hard drives these days fail more by the looks of things but maybe because it read and writes allot more as our thirst for data increases.
Thanks
SJ

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi , just circling back on this, the hp 800 g3 has got 8gb of Ram,.
1)So the question on this is , will they still be able to use this same pc to do some web surfing, youtube, skype etc. or would the 8gb Ram mostly be used by the cameras hence I should opt for 16gb?
2) Should I install a purple surveillance hard drive or will a normal HD do for the video recording and other file storage?
Hard drives these days fail more by the looks of things but maybe because it read and writes allot more as our thirst for data increases.
Thanks
SJ
The general rule is not to use the computer for anything else and consider it an NVR, just like you wouldn't check your email and web surf from an NVR LOL. Now with that said, there are people that use it for other things, just recognize the more you tax it, the more chance you have for video to be missing. If you plan to YouTube and Skype, then you need to throw in more RAM. 8GB will be choking.

The general rule is you should put in a surveillance drive as that is made and designed for 24/7 operation. But people have used normal drives without a problem as well.

Stephan06

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
The general rule is not to use the computer for anything else and consider it an NVR, just like you wouldn't check your email and web surf from an NVR LOL. Now with that said, there are people that use it for other things, just recognize the more you tax it, the more chance you have for video to be missing. If you plan to YouTube and Skype, then you need to throw in more RAM. 8GB will be choking.

The general rule is you should put in a surveillance drive as that is made and designed for 24/7 operation. But people have used normal drives without a problem as well.
Thanks, this allows me then to get the cheaper i5 6500 and dedicate it only to the cameras for 24/7 and they could use this then as a backup for a couple of weeks in case their main pc fails.

Stephan06

Young grasshopper
Reaction score

Just following up on this post. I have obtained the sff hp i5 6500 with 8gb ram, 256ssd . I plan to put a 3.5” surveillance drive in. So my question is, do I install Blue Iris on the ssd and I assume I can then set Blue Iris to do the recording on the surveillance drive?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Just following up on this post. I have obtained the sff hp i5 6500 with 8gb ram, 256ssd . I plan to put a 3.5” surveillance drive in. So my question is, do I install Blue Iris on the ssd and I assume I can then set Blue Iris to do the recording on the surveillance drive?
That is correct!