BI / HV 6 - new 2342s, Windows 10 Home, CPU @99%!! wth.

Ispy

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Finally got my HV DS-2CD2342WD-I cameras - 6 of them. While waiting I built a Windows 10 Box with an I7-4790K, 16GB RAM, as a dedicated machine for BI. Started hooking up cameras yesterday and when I got to about 4 I realized my box was maxing CPU out. I went ahead and connected them all to start troubleshooting but cannot seem to get it to drop with BI Console open. As a service it did drop to about 60%. I was wondering if there are some settings on these cameras I need to change. (I did enable H.264+) which seemed to drop bps inbound in 1/2 almost per camera.

[h=1]Intel Core i7-4790K Devil’s Canyon Quad-Core 4.0 GHz LGA 1150 BX80646I74790K Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4600[/h][h=1]ASUS Micro ATX DDR3 1600 LGA 1150 Motherboard B85M-G R2.0[/h]16GB Corsair Vengance DDR3 Ram
Windows 10 Home 64-bit
BI 64-bit
New install
Nothing else installed on it save some utilities for camera.

CPU without BI runs at < 1%
BI console runs ~99%
Cameras @ 15fps, h.264+
BI recording direct-to-disk

Seems that I have something going on here but like I said, when BI is shut down CPU is basically at 0. Running Resource monitor you can see BI is grabbing it all. With 6 cameras, Net i/o is about 10-15Mbps inbound. Outbound to NAS is not significant compared to this.

My camera network is wired and isolated from my home network. BI server has wifi to Internet. I wanted to keep this all isolated from my home network.

I know this isn't much to go on but I figured I would see if anyone has any pointers.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
@Ispy, are you running the full version or demo mode? What happens if the cameras are set to regular h.264? are you recording to bvr (blue iris dvr)format? Have you excluded blueiris.exe from your virus scans. Are you certain you enabled d2d for each camera? Are you using a monitor attached to the pc, or remotely logging in with remote desktop or something lile teamviewer?

Last edited by a moderator:

Ispy

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
thanks fenderman.
full version
when the cameras were @ h.264, it was no better and Net i/o seemed to be 2x it is now - ~800Kbps per camera. now it is around 400kbps.
i am recording in bvr format. (just double checked now to confirm)
currently no virus software installed (waiting to get everything stabilized before i install)
i did confirm each camera is d2d. (just double checked now to confirm)
i was using vnc but moved system back to my monitor this morning to confirm that is not the issue. no change there (vnc services disabled currently)

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Windows 10 installs defender automatically...so make sure to disable it or exclude blue iris. 4 cameras is only 16 mp total so I dont see why it would be maxing out. What happens if you set all the cams to 2mp?

Ispy

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
dangit, your right. one sec. i will turn it off to test. i will also test setting the cameras to 2mp. is that on the camera or in BI?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
dangit, your right. one sec. i will turn it off to test. i will also test setting the cameras to 2mp. is that on the camera or in BI?
you need to make the resolution change in the camera. Also, make sure the camera itself is set to 15fps not in BI.

Ispy

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
ok, will do. Defender disabled and no difference there. let me make those changes

Ispy

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
that definitely dropped it. now CPU is running around 25% with console up. with just service running it is around 10-15%. i noticed my NIC only negotiated to 100Mbps. i may see if i can max out MTU on cameras and get NIC on PC right to help relieve the CPU on I/O.

any other ideas is appreciated. i'd like to bump that back up some but i will see how the quality is. thanks for your help!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Was the frame rate set at 15 in the camera before? 25 is still a bit high for 16mp on that cpu...make sure you have the latest drivers installed.

Ispy

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
ok i will check that. can't get nic to 1Gbps. tested laptop and its the same. just bought a cheap 1Gbps POE switch. figures.. may have to take it back. i had a cisco switch i brought in from work but it was overkill. loud and too much heat.

- - - Updated - - -

and max MTU on these cameras is 1500

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
ok i will check that. can't get nic to 1Gbps. tested laptop and its the same. just bought a cheap 1Gbps POE switch. figures.. may have to take it back. i had a cisco switch i brought in from work but it was overkill. loud and too much heat.

- - - Updated - - -

and max MTU on these cameras is 1500
the cameras are only 10/100...

Ispy

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
i changed viewing to 15 fps. after setting all cameras back to original setting it jumped back up to 99%

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
i changed viewing to 15 fps. after setting all cameras back to original setting it jumped back up to 99%
I had a similar issue this week on a system that was using way too much cpu. The solution was to completely uninstall blue iris. Reinstall, enter the product key, then add the cameras back manually. DO NOT import the registration file. CPU consumption dropped by half, back to expected levels.

Ispy

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I had a similar issue this week on a system that was using way too much cpu. The solution was to completely uninstall blue iris. Reinstall, enter the product key, then add the cameras back manually. DO NOT import the registration file. CPU consumption dropped by half, back to expected levels.
i did a complete reinstall and rebuild to no avail. right now i am running 4 HK cameras and 2 Foscams and it is around 20-30. as soon as i turn up another HK it doubles. have not had time to mess with it any more.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
i did a complete reinstall and rebuild to no avail. right now i am running 4 HK cameras and 2 Foscams and it is around 20-30. as soon as i turn up another HK it doubles. have not had time to mess with it any more.
one more thing to try is to disable any power saving functions in the bios. Hopefully the new changes coming to BI at the end of the month with hardware acceleration will help.