BI + IP Webcam Pro - Audio Only Works One Way??

ohlin5

n3wb
Reaction score
Hey guys...saw a number of helpful posts here so as a user brand new to BI I figured I'd post about a single issues I'm having that I really hope I can get figured out. Seriously hoping someone here as some wonderful thoughts :)

So I recently purchased and installed Blue Iris on a Windows machine of mine, and successfully added a couple basic Android phones running "IP Webcam Pro" (IP Webcam Pro - Android Apps on Google Play). Yes, I am completely aware it's nothing fancy, but it works for the minimal needs I have...someday I hope to expand it, but it's more of a "want" than a "need" at the moment :) For now the setup I've got works as a proof-of-concept which is all I need right now :)

The issue came however when I went to start using the mobile app - I could successfully view both of my cameras, and I could successfully hear audio FROM the camera TO my phone, but I could NOT get audio from MY phone to broadcast back through the camera. So audio only works one way.

I would even question if my super simple (and cheap) setup even had such an ability, but I know it does as Tiny Cam (also on the play store - tinyCam Monitor PRO - Android Apps on Google Play) has this ability and audio both ways works FLAWLESSLY. As such, I'm pretty certain this is an issue somewhere on the BI side of things, so please let me what you guys would suggest as my next steps of troubleshooting or if anyone has encountered any similar issues. I really, really want this ability to work (without being forced to use 2 apps). Thank you!

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm guessing in tinyCam you get an "IP Webcam Pro" option in the list of camera models?

I don't know if you can get Blue Iris to send audio to the IP Webcam Pro app unless the Blue Iris developer adds this feature specifically; does IP Webcam Pro have any documentation for how a program is supposed to send audio to it?

ohlin5

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm guessing in tinyCam you get an "IP Webcam Pro" option in the list of camera models?

I don't know if you can get Blue Iris to send audio to the IP Webcam Pro app unless the Blue Iris developer adds this feature specifically; does IP Webcam Pro have any documentation for how a program is supposed to send audio to it?
In Tiny Cam there is an "IP Webcam for Android" option...I suppose it's entirely possible, even likely that that may be the app that option is referring to.

I emailed the dev re: whether any documentation exists for how another program would send audio to the IP Webcam app. He typically has a decent amount of info on misc. setup information so I wouldn't be at all surprised if he did...we'll just see if he responds or not.

If he were to respond, do you happen to know if there is a "best" way to submit a feature request to the BI devs? Or is emailing their support the only/best option? Many thanks!

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
In the Blue Iris help file, it says:

Many cameras offer 2-way "talk" support through a speaker on the camera. For many cameras, this requires custom support, but for some, it's possible using an RTSP "back-channel." If your camera supports this, enable this option and then configure a microphone on the Options/Audio page.
I don't think IP Webcam uses RTSP at all, so it probably requires custom support from Blue Iris. Emailing Blue Iris support is the only option, but before you do that I suggest you get whatever documentation the IP Webcam developer will provide so that you can send that along to Blue Iris support. If it is simple enough, there is a good chance he'll implement it. Ken takes compatibility pretty seriously in my experience. Of course there is always the chance he won't have time to implement it.

ohlin5

n3wb
Reaction score
In the Blue Iris help file, it says:

I don't think IP Webcam uses RTSP at all, so it probably requires custom support from Blue Iris. Emailing Blue Iris support is the only option, but before you do that I suggest you get whatever documentation the IP Webcam developer will provide so that you can send that along to Blue Iris support. If it is simple enough, there is a good chance he'll implement it. Ken takes compatibility pretty seriously in my experience. Of course there is always the chance he won't have time to implement it.
Awesome, thanks for the info I really appreciate it!