BI licensing

xmfan

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have an unused i5 based laptop that I plan to re-purpose temporarily for BI use. This is a stepping stone install while I get the funds to build an i7 based small, dedicated BI machine. Ultimately, I will have 7 -10 cams so decided to go with an i7cpu.

question: will there be a concern (or difficulties) with this when I get the new machine up and running to transfer the BI license to it ?

thanks.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I have an unused i5 based laptop that I plan to re-purpose temporarily for BI use. This is a stepping stone install while I get the funds to build an i7 based small, dedicated BI machine. Ultimately, I will have 7 -10 cams so decided to go with an i7cpu.

question: will there be a concern (or difficulties) with this when I get the new machine up and running to transfer the BI license to it ?

thanks.
you simply deactivate on the first and activate on the second. Dont waste money building a machine. Blue iris doesnt care about the number of cameras but the total resolution and frame rates. See wiki.

xmfan

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@fenderman - thank you for this info. In reading some general threads on BI, seems a lot of folks have reported high cpu utilization, at least initially. Changing the settings where it writes directly to disk seems to help that.

I have yet to process even one camera through BI on PC so won't truly know my real time experience for now. There are varied opinions regarding what fps to capture the video stream. Some say 30 fps is an overkill. I'll have to do some experimenting soon. In terms of storage, I don't have a concern there as I plan on using a synology NAS. Originally, I wanted to use the synology diskstation but their per camera licensing ends up being too costly.

I am still long ways towards buying/building a BI dedicated PC so I was just starting with an initial research to determine what it would take to put together a very low profile form factor case using mini ITX mobo, i7 based machine.

Turns out I have a core2quad that I can free up. Makes sense to start with that and see the performance and go from there.....

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
@fenderman - thank you for this info. In reading some general threads on BI, seems a lot of folks have reported high cpu utilization, at least initially. Changing the settings where it writes directly to disk seems to help that.

I have yet to process even one camera through BI on PC so won't truly know my real time experience for now. There are varied opinions regarding what fps to capture the video stream. Some say 30 fps is an overkill. I'll have to do some experimenting soon. In terms of storage, I don't have a concern there as I plan on using a synology NAS. Originally, I wanted to use the synology diskstation but their per camera licensing ends up being too costly.

I am still long ways towards buying/building a BI dedicated PC so I was just starting with an initial research to determine what it would take to put together a very low profile form factor case using mini ITX mobo, i7 based machine.

Turns out I have a core2quad that I can free up. Makes sense to start with that and see the performance and go from there.....
You must set it to D2D.
30fps is overkill. In fact most 4k cameras are limited to 15-20. 15 fps is more than enough. local storage is always best.
core2quad is useless for BI. Its a powerhungry weak machine. Will cost you more to run than a 100-200 dollar modern system. See wiki and all other related posts. Search elitedesk/prodesk.