BI locks up Windows 10 after 4.6.9.3 upgrade even after revert

Reaction score
Creating a new thread from the problem I first mentioned here:
Update 4.6.9.3 and can no longer send 'push notifications' ?

BI is still hanging the system and crashing even after I reverted as far as to 4.6.2.1.
The CPU is pinning at 100% before Windows reports that's it not responding. The UI is very slow, although the older version loads faster. The Blue Iris 4 logo sometimes hangs on the screen.

Otherwise Windows 10 Pro looks healthy. I'm not finding any other issues with the system or other apps.

I've done as much as I could think, including disabling some cameras.

I guess I need to rename the BI folders and reinstall BI from the beginning?
Can I copy or edit the config file to get the cameras back?

Attachments

Last edited:
Reaction score
I upgraded BI to 4.6.9.5.
It's working - mostly - but the CPU is still pinned at 100% even after I disabled half the cameras and turned off motion detection on all but one camera. BI is definitely bogging down the whole system.

It was working fine, with CPU at 20-60% before the 4.6.9.3 upgrade installed a few days ago.

I have 9854 clips and some fairly full folders even though there is plenty of free disk space. I'm wondering if Windows bogs down trying to paw through all of those files.

I guess I will do a complete rebuild adding back one camera at a time. *sigh*

Reaction score
All BI folders excluded from your Antivirus?
Real time scanning has been off.

I disabled cameras and detmined that the 3MP Hikvision alone used 30& CPU. I guess I have selected feed options that are CPU intense.
I have disabled motion capture on all but one camera.

With 4 cameras active CPU is at 99%. It wasn't that bad before when I had as many as 14 cameras active, most being just VGA.
I have several cameras now that are 2MP-4MP but those have not recently been added.

If I turn H.264 HW decode to anything other than Off the Hi-res cameras don't work. Can I get better luck by adding a video card or hardware decoder?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Real time scanning has been off.

I disabled cameras and detmined that the 3MP Hikvision alone used 30& CPU. I guess I have selected feed options that are CPU intense.
I have disabled motion capture on all but one camera.

With 4 cameras active CPU is at 99%. It wasn't that bad before when I had as many as 14 cameras active, most being just VGA.
I have several cameras now that are 2MP-4MP but those have not recently been added.

If I turn H.264 HW decode to anything other than Off the Hi-res cameras don't work. Can I get better luck by adding a video card or hardware decoder?
You are doing something wrong...
What cpu do you have?

Reaction score
You are doing something wrong...
What cpu do you have?
Intel Core i5-2500 with 8GB RAM, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
ahhhh, only Intel HD Graphics on the motherboard.
oooooooh maybe I need more RAM.

I should get an nVidia video card?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Intel Core i5-2500 with 8GB RAM, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
ahhhh, only Intel HD Graphics on the motherboard.
oooooooh maybe I need more RAM.

I should get an nVidia video card?
Card won't do anything...Intel hd on second generation processors only supports 1080p max... set your cams to 1080p.
Confirm that you have enabled direct to disk and that you are not running the demo...

Reaction score
Card won't do anything...Intel hd on second generation processors only supports 1080p max... set your cams to 1080p.
Confirm that you have enabled direct to disk and that you are not running the demo...
I have a BI license , not the demo version.
Where do I choose Direct to disk?

This BI server has an SSD for the C: drive.

I guess I need a CPU and motherboard. The way I procrastinate I can move up my killer i7 system that I haven't finished.
What "generation" CPU do I need to have a handful of these 3MP and 4MP 2K and 4K cameras?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I have a BI license , not the demo version.
Where do I choose Direct to disk?

This BI server has an SSD for the C: drive.

I guess I need a CPU and motherboard. The way I procrastinate I can move up my killer i7 system that I haven't finished.
What "generation" CPU do I need to have a handful of these 3MP and 4MP 2K and 4K cameras?
Direct to disk may allow you to use your current system...see help file and wiki

Reaction score
My uncompleted "killer" desktop has a i7-4770K CPU that I see can do 4096x2304@24Hz
I'll move that to the BI DVR server and get an 8th Generation Z370 for the killer. I just hope I can move the Windows 10 Pro install.

Maybe this will give the motivation to finish these projects.

Reaction score
I've got it at 51% CPU now.
I still think something is wrong because the system show BI was using 26% CPU when BI shows 100%. Is BI not using more than 1 CPU core?

Being that I am nuts, I'm fully willing to buy a new motherboard, 8th Generation CPU and RAM for the BI if needed.

Some questions on the ideal hardware: Would that system with the i7-4770K CPU be good enough to handle 3MP and 4MP cameras?
Is there any benefit to having the Radeon graphics card installed? Would that help the BI GUI, particularly with multiple monitors?
The monitors are 1920x1200 for now.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I've got it at 51% CPU now.
I still think something is wrong because the system show BI was using 26% CPU when BI shows 100%. Is BI not using more than 1 CPU core?

Being that I am nuts, I'm fully willing to buy a new motherboard, 8th Generation CPU and RAM for the BI if needed.

Some questions on the ideal hardware: Would that system with the i7-4770K CPU be good enough to handle 3MP and 4MP cameras?
Is there any benefit to having the Radeon graphics card installed? Would that help the BI GUI, particularly with multiple monitors?
The monitors are 1920x1200 for now.
Read here: Choosing Hardware for Blue Iris | IP Cam Talk