BI Memory Utilization

Slate2000

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I am looking to get a new PC to run BI. I read many threads regarding hardware, CPU specifically. My current dedicated set up has 6GB of memory and it appears that BI doesn't use much at all. How does BI use memory? Will it use more if available? Is there an optimal amount? Since this will be dedicated I and I have a limited budget, I want to buy the most appropriate setup. More money towards HD than memory if it isn't used. Thanks

Slate2000

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have 7 cams: 1 Reolink RLC-423WS, 5 Reolink RLC-411WS, 1 Reolink RLC-410WS. All are dual band and I run at 5G.
FPS = 15; bitrate - 2048k, and h264 is on.
Old PC: i3-3227 (1.90 GHz), 6GB memory, HD: 512GB
Want to replace with newer PC. I have been watching those threads.

Slate2000

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
That's why I'm interested in better understanding how BI uses memory. I'm willing to buy more memory if it is used. But why buy 16GB or 32GB if it will only use 8GB? I think I will go to around 12 cams.

Slate2000

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks drunkpenquin! I have 7 cams now and looking to add a few more. Plus I will replace my older ones with newer models that take up more bandwidth.

jaycanter

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I just built a pc with 8th generation I7-8700K and 16gb of ram I got win 8.1 loaded and the intel driver wouldn't load cause system was 8.1 when i fired it up and watched rescource meter is showing 1 gb of ram free. rest is used also have 24 Dauhua 2mp cams and 1 8mp. since fresh install every cam was running at 30fps except the 8mp since it's only 15 fps. the cpu was hovering around 50% in BI

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I just built a pc with 8th generation I7-8700K and 16gb of ram I got win 8.1 loaded and the intel driver wouldn't load cause system was 8.1 when i fired it up and watched rescource meter is showing 1 gb of ram free. rest is used also have 24 Dauhua 2mp cams and 1 8mp. since fresh install every cam was running at 30fps except the 8mp since it's only 15 fps. the cpu was hovering around 50% in BI
update to 10 for free then do a clean install....read threads on memory leak

jaycanter

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
This was built for comparison between 7th gen and 8th gen cpu.

I did read the BI usage several times.

I did load windows 10 and as soon as i loaded the intel video driver cpu usage maxed out to 100%.

I had BI running win 10 on 7th gen 7700k with the cams at 15fps and machine hovered up at 80% with the old intel driver per memory leak thread. So i had limit decoding unless required turned on for 6 to 8 cams to keep it manageable. I went back to 8.1 and everything cuts in half with windows generic vga driver.

Not sure why the intel driver causes the cpu to double instantly when machine boots. I'm guessing it's because i can't load an old driver from intel since board is newest chipset.

Any idea why old machine would run 4 to 5 gb of memory usage compared to the new 1 running up around 12gb?

I purchased a Dahua 4k 32 channel NVR from Andy and gonna use as a 2nd recording device. gonna start new thread on questions for it.

jaycanter

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I did read those since my 7th gen had this issue and had to roll back the driver.

The 8th gen won't load those drivers since the chipsets are 2 new.

But the microsoft generic vga driver seems to work better than the intel.

Since i have 16gb of memory and using upwards of 12gb running do you think i should bump up another 16gb so i am at 32gb? Don't care about the cost. I read a post about cpu coming down with more memory but that was in the 4gb range. Not sure how much BI can use if available.

Since i purchased a Dahua ultra series 32 ch nvr and all cams running 30fps with it running 37% cpu. i am trying to push BI to see what it can handle with everything maxed.

The Asrock board i am using has the newest chipset that's not compatible with 7th gen cpu's. (Big sticker over cpu slot saying do not install 7th gen will damage board)

Also the new system has 32gb of optane, (not sure if it helps but for $60.00 figured i would try it) 16gb of ram, m2 ssd for boot, and 4-wd 4tb purple drivres.