BI missing motion many times

Dave Wynn

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi,

I know this has appeared before, but I can't seem to get it sorted.
BI keeps missing motion e.g. dog outside but no one lets him out (clearly he's found a secret exit), people coming down stairs but never going up (unless they are climbing up the outside and in through a window).

Running on an i7 with an average 3% loading 32gb memory.

There's mention of a detect/reject option but I can't find it?

Any help would be great

Thanks
Dave

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi,

BI keeps missing motion e.g. dog outside but no one lets him out (clearly he's found a secret exit), people coming down stairs but never going up (unless they are climbing up the outside and in through a window).

Any help would be great

Thanks
Dave
you dont have it setup properly. First read the help file, understand what the settings do. Modify your settings. If you are still having problems post them here.
Object detect reject has been replaced long ago.

Dave Wynn

n3wb
Reaction score
you dont have it setup properly. First read the help file, understand what the settings do. Modify your settings. If you are still having problems post them here.
Object detect reject has been replaced long ago.
Well, that's got to be the most unhelpful reply I have ever received in any forum I've ever been on.

I have read the help files and I have search the web and the reference to detect /reject is what is returned when the search is missing motion.

Apart from that, please explain to me how I could have incorrectly set up the motion detect options such that it works randomly, sporadically and missing the odd motion which is big enough to hardly help but miss, e.g. a door being opened and a dog coming out of the door.

All I have done is to enable the default settings to detect motion. Explain to me which setting enables the "I'll detect motion 98% of the time" option. It detected most of the time, but occasionally doesn't, for everything good in this world tell me how that works, a dog is detected moving outside but a few minutes earlier it isn't detected going outside. AND THERE ARE OTHER EXAMPLES, PEOPLE WALKING DOWNSTAIRS THAT NEVER WALKED UP.

Just goes to show you how wrong first impressions can be. I thought Blue Iris was a great app, but cleary is flawed given the competent defensive reaction and contempt for a user asking a perfectly good question about something that is behaving unusually. If the problem was repeatable then clearly it would be a setting issue, but this problem isn't so don't treat people like they haven't bothered to do some prior testing.

Looks like I should have gone with iSpy after all, at least there is a friendly community of people seeking to give helpful replies.

An ex Blue Iris user......

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Well, that's got to be the most unhelpful reply I have ever received in any forum I've ever been on.

I have read the help files and I have search the web and the reference to detect /reject is what is returned when the search is missing motion.

Apart from that, please explain to me how I could have incorrectly set up the motion detect options such that it works randomly, sporadically and missing the odd motion which is big enough to hardly help but miss, e.g. a door being opened and a dog coming out of the door.

All I have done is to enable the default settings to detect motion. Explain to me which setting enables the "I'll detect motion 98% of the time" option. It detected most of the time, but occasionally doesn't, for everything good in this world tell me how that works, a dog is detected moving outside but a few minutes earlier it isn't detected going outside. AND THERE ARE OTHER EXAMPLES, PEOPLE WALKING DOWNSTAIRS THAT NEVER WALKED UP.

Just goes to show you how wrong first impressions can be. I thought Blue Iris was a great app, but cleary is flawed given the competent defensive reaction and contempt for a user asking a perfectly good question about something that is behaving unusually. If the problem was repeatable then clearly it would be a setting issue, but this problem isn't so don't treat people like they haven't bothered to do some prior testing.

Looks like I should have gone with iSpy after all, at least there is a friendly community of people seeking to give helpful replies.

An ex Blue Iris user......
No it was a great reply. You are obviously a lazy fuck. Not only were you to lazy to read the help file (it is evident from your post that you did not despite your claim that you did), you were too lazy to post your setting so someone can point to your mistake. There are many reasons why motion detection fails and its is ALWAYS a result of improper settings. However, since you want to be a passive aggressive asshole, NO HELP FOR YOU!.
You need to understand something. This forum is a USER forum. It is NOT associated with blue iris in any way. You seem to think I OWE you something. Well newsflash, I dont.
Blue iris is amazing and it does blow ispy out of the water. Go try ispy, pay the PERPETUAL monthly fee for alerts and remote access and enjoy a lower feature set.
The problem is 100 percent setting related and in fact I know what it likely is. Too bad you cannot take criticism.

pepperfr

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi,

Any help would be great

Thanks
Dave
Dave,

I started having similar problems with one of my cameras after BI motion detection was improved awhile back (can't remember which version). This particular camera sits alongside a portion of my driveway. The camera would capture a FedEx truck leaving, which it had completely missed when it arrived. When vehicles are arriving, they pass very near the camera and tend to fill a large portion of the Field Of View. A new feature (Reset detector when object size exceeds XX%) had been added to motion detection to help prevent false positives. I think the default setting was 65%. I had to increase this setting on the subject camera to 85%. Now motion detection triggers when vehicles are coming AND going. You can find this setting at Camera Properties\Trigger\Motion Sensor Configure\Object Detection Edit.

Dave Wynn

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi pepperfr,

Many thanks for your constructive, helpful and polite reply, I'll look into what you are suggesting.

Thanks

Dave Wynn

n3wb
Reaction score
As you so politely put it, you have nothing of interest to say, arrogance is not a particularly favourable trait.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
As you so politely put it, you have nothing of interest to say, arrogance is not a particularly favourable trait.
You conflate arrogance with knowledge. Being an ungrateful prick is not a FAVORABLE trait either. It takes a lot of nerve to be an ass like you have been..all while asking for FREE help. Your lazy ass will not get any assistance from me. You are quite lucky that I have not banned you completely.

cyberwolf_uk

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Dave Wynn, Can you please post your settings for the camera in question as fenderman quote earlier in the thread... Sounds like all you need is to increase your receive buffer size, but it will become clearer if we can see your current camera settings.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
So this moron posts and then deletes this...

"fenderman: you don't have any knowledge, as to have knowledge you need to be able to communicate it and you lack all the skills in communicating I can think of, include your foul mouth. Maybe you would like to meet up and you can say it to my face. I'm not ungrateful, I'm not asking for free help, I'm sharing in a USER community which clearly you are not. I DONT WANT ANY ASSISTANCE FROM YOU so stop getting involved. Who are you anyway 'staff' staff of what and if you belong to a company to be a member of staff, I feel so very sorry for the company if this is the standard of behaviour they employ.

By the way, you were complete wrong Mr 100%, I found the problem to day and it was a camera hardware problem - replace camera and it now works.

So by all means ban me, if that tickles your small, childish mind. In fact please do as I can't actually find a way to get off this site."

Dave Wynn

n3wb
Reaction score
Yes I did post it and then realised I'd lowered my self to your standard...please ban me, delete me, do what every pleases you and enjoy life....

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
fenderman: fair enough, please go ahead and delete me from this site.
Nope....your stupidity will remain here in perpetuity...I will ban you though...You are an ungrateful entitled prick. The standard here is excellence and no bullshit. You have some damn nerve attacking a legitimate response on this forum as the worst you have ever seen simply because your feelings were hurt. Fuck off.