BI mobile app Setup?

Tyyees

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I’m in the process of setting up my mobile app on my IPhone and Ipad but have run into some issues.

looney2ns advice: Get it working on your own home network first. Then work on getting VPN setup.
All you should need to do on your own network, is enter the correct IP address for your BI server and the correct port in the app.
Create a user with in BI with mobile access rights.
You have an Asus router, so it likely has OpenVPN builtin.

Do I setup port forwarding then add a VPN?

I’m using the wizard for the setup. Using the UPnP to automaticity add the rule for port forwarding. Green light so far and Blue Iris was added. Click OK to next box and a test page appears for routing and network. In the verified server section it shows BlueMaple/0.0.0.0, don’t know what that is and I get the red circle with X. The canyouseeme.org is at the bottom. Using this it shows success on seeing port. Why is BlueMaple showing and not Blue Iris? Haven’t gone any further than this. Thanks Ty

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I’m in the process of setting up my mobile app on my IPhone and Ipad but have run into some issues.

looney2ns advice: Get it working on your own home network first. Then work on getting VPN setup.
All you should need to do on your own network, is enter the correct IP address for your BI server and the correct port in the app.
Create a user with in BI with mobile access rights.
You have an Asus router, so it likely has OpenVPN builtin.

Do I setup port forwarding then add a VPN?

I’m using the wizard for the setup. Using the UPnP to automaticity add the rule for port forwarding. Green light so far and Blue Iris was added. Click OK to next box and a test page appears for routing and network. In the verified server section it shows BlueMaple/0.0.0.0, don’t know what that is and I get the red circle with X. The canyouseeme.org is at the bottom. Using this it shows success on seeing port. Why is BlueMaple showing and not Blue Iris? Haven’t gone any further than this. Thanks Ty
NO, you dont want to setup port forwarding at all, that defeats the vpn.
disable upnp in both your router and your cameras and ensure no ports were automatically forwarded with by upnp.

Tyyees

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks Fenderman for your response.

Here is a response from Ken about the BlueMaple:

I had to re-add the Server line so that Blue Iris could identify itself! Some users had problems connecting "Blue Iris to Blue Iris" because of this.

BlueMaple is just a (somewhat) randomly made-up name. I will be rotating this occasionally to prevent services like Ring/Nest/whatever from discovering connections from Blue Iris.

Thanks

Ken

Hope this helps someone with the same problem. Now back to setting up my mobile app., what directions can I follow? Can someone point me in the right direction. I take it you shouldn’t follow the directions in BI help.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks Fenderman for your response.

Here is a response from Ken about the BlueMaple:

I had to re-add the Server line so that Blue Iris could identify itself! Some users had problems connecting "Blue Iris to Blue Iris" because of this.

BlueMaple is just a (somewhat) randomly made-up name. I will be rotating this occasionally to prevent services like Ring/Nest/whatever from discovering connections from Blue Iris.

Thanks

Ken

Hope this helps someone with the same problem. Now back to setting up my mobile app., what directions can I follow? Can someone point me in the right direction. I take it you shouldn’t follow the directions in BI help.
for a local connection all you need is to enter your local ip address followed by the port so if the port is 8585 (set in the webserver tab) and your blue iris pc ip is 192.168.1.20 then you would enter 192.168.1.20:8888 note the colon.

Tyyees

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Fenderman

I am able to open my web server in my browser by typing in the local lan access, not on any wireless devices though. Not sure what that accomplishes as I’m try to set up remote access via iPhone and pad. I’m a bit out of my realm as you can guess and not sure how to proceed. I did disable the upnp in the router.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Fenderman

I am able to open my web server in my browser by typing in the local lan access, not on any wireless devices though. Not sure what that accomplishes as I’m try to set up remote access via iPhone and pad. I’m a bit out of my realm as you can guess and not sure how to proceed. I did disable the upnp in the router.
is the wireless device on the local network?
first get access locally, then you can work on remote access.

Tyyees

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Well I really don’t know. I just assumed they are. I have two Pc’s, 2 iPads, two iPhones and a printer hooked up wireless. Everything works as it should. I do have a 5ghz/2.4ghz router that the devices can switch Back and forth from. My BI PC is set at 2.4hgz as are my mobile devices.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Well I really don’t know. I just assumed they are. I have two Pc’s, 2 iPads, two iPhones and a printer hooked up wireless. Everything works as it should. I do have a 5ghz/2.4ghz router that the devices can switch Back and forth from. My BI PC is set at 2.4hgz as are my mobile devices.
The phone you should be connected to the same primary Network... Not to a guest Network..the blue iris PC should not be connected to a wireless network it should be hardwired

Tyyees

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
By hard wired it’s hard wired from Poe switch to modem/router. Nothing is hard wired to the PC. Problem setup I assume?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
By hard wired it’s hard wired from Poe switch to modem/router. Nothing is hard wired to the PC. Problem setup I assume?
There should be an ethernet cable from the switch to the pc. That is not what is causing your current issue, but the blue iris pc must be hardwired if you want reliable recording.

Tyyees

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks that’s easy to fix. I’ll see what happens when I connect the two. Everything is running so nicely I was afraid to experiment changing cables. But from what you say that doesn’t solve my present problem and I have not had issues in recording of any kind other than not enough storage space. Thanks for helping.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks that’s easy to fix. I’ll see what happens when I connect the two. Everything is running so nicely I was afraid to experiment changing cables. But from what you say that doesn’t solve my present problem and I have not had issues in recording of any kind other than not enough storage space. Thanks for helping.
the only reason you would not be able to hit the server locally is if your have the wrong ip or port entered or you are in fact on two different networks.

Tyyees

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Ok I ran a cable from the Poe switch to the PC and lost all my camera feeds. I run the cable to the router the cameras work, go figure.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Ok I ran a cable from the Poe switch to the PC and lost all my camera feeds. I run the cable to the router the cameras work, go figure.
impossible, something else is going on..how is your network setup

Tyyees

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
In my network information and set up connections it shows what appears to be two networks. One wireless, labeled private network, access type internet, wi-fi. The second is Ethernet, no network access, public network, unidentifiable network.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
In my network information and set up connections it shows what appears to be two networks. One wireless, labeled private network, access type internet, wi-fi. The second is Ethernet, no network access, public network, unidentifiable network.
That is not relevant. disable the wifi on the pc.

Tyyees

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
WiFi disabled cameras still disabled. When you said run cable from switch to computer you meant from Poe switch correct?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
WiFi disabled cameras still disabled. When you said run cable from switch to computer you meant from Poe switch correct?
yes. Obviously that switch should also be connected to the router as well.

Tyyees

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I found there was a problem with my network card and it was fixed when I ran the troubleshoot problems. The cameras are now working. It shows Ethernet connection BUT with an internet access type connection. The WiFi is still disabled. Is this appropriated?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I found there was a problem with my network card and it was fixed when I ran the troubleshoot problems. The cameras are now working. It shows Ethernet connection BUT with an internet access type connection. The WiFi is still disabled. Is this appropriated?
yes