BI Not fully optimized for Windows 10 per Intel

HEVNBND

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Mine does NOT. If using intel 8th generation processors. There is no driver that I have found that does not send cpu usage through the roof..

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Mine does NOT. If using intel 8th generation processors. There is no driver that I have found that does not send cpu usage through the roof..
Intel is outright lying... That nonsense about dividing the workload between the processor and the memory is insane and makes no sense.... The proof is in the pudding there are bunch of users who have no issues running blueiris on Windows 10 using the correct drivers... There are hundreds of users here who have upgraded from 7 to 10 and will tell you that the CPU usage stayed virtually the same some higher some lower but on average the same.... There's also a high probability that they didn't pay for the software and ran the demo where H. 264 acceleration might not even be working... Finally a quick Google search will show you that the Intel H. 264 memory leak issue is not isolated to blueiris there are other software that have this problem... I would email support with a link to Intel statement so he can address it....
There may be something in the blue iris code with respect to H. 264 decoding that needs to be corrected who knows but to fabricate facts like Intel just did is repulsive...

HEVNBND

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I totally agree. I’m unfortunately a user that has 15 paid versions of BI running on Windows 10 with 8th generation CPU’s. All having issues due to no Driver support.

Sad that reaching out to intel has resulted in their response. I’m not sure where to go next.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I totally agree. I’m unfortunately a user that has 15 paid versions of BI running on Windows 10 with 8th generation CPU’s. All having issues due to no Driver support.

Sad that reaching out to intel has resulted in their response. I’m not sure where to go next.
I would respond to intel and call them out on their outright lies, making the points I made above, post a link to this thread and email BI support again. I dont run BI on 8th gen systems (and dont have an 8th gen to use) so I cannot test on my end...

HEVNBND

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I did.

The more Intel users that can contact Intel the higher the possibility they will work to address the issue. I really need to add another monitor that does NOT mirror my primary monitor and using a driver that Windows says "Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)" is the only way I can get the creep to stop with the 8th gen Intel CPU. Using this driver only allows for a monitor to mirror and requires a reboot of Windows when a new monitor is added instead of the normal auto-detect.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I did.

The more Intel users that can contact Intel the higher the possibility they will work to address the issue. I really need to add another monitor that does NOT mirror my primary monitor and using a driver that Windows says "Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)" is the only way I can get the creep to stop with the 8th gen Intel CPU. Using this driver only allows for a monitor to mirror and requires a reboot of Windows when a new monitor is added instead of the normal auto-detect.
You should post the version of the driver that does work for a single monitor...most only use one monitor.

HEVNBND

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
This works however it does NOT support 8th gen CPUs

Summary of issues found and a guide on how to fix.
=========================================================================================
Symptoms:
Running BI on a fresh WIN10 PRO install with HW Acceleration enabled will show the following behavior:
  • Slowly creeping CPU usage up to 100%
  • Frequent system crash
Because of the frequent random crashes, the BI system is not workable.

Cause:
The root cause lies in a problem with the video driver when using "Intel HD hardware acceleration" in Blue Iris

Upon fresh install WIN10 PRO installs the Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650 driver version 22.20.16.4471 which causes this issue and is described on the http://www.IPCAMTALK.COM forum, search for "Memory Leak"

I have tried the following drivers from the Intel support website:

Does not work:
Solution:

Works:

The 21.20.16.4664 driver is included in the [15.45] release package and has to be installed from the win_15418.4664. zip package dated 9/16/2017.

Note: although the website tells you this is not the latest version, be sure to use this one because the latest version will not work.

The zip file can be downloaded from: Download Intel® Graphics Driver for Windows* [15.45]-

If you download the exe file or try installing using the setup.exe will an error message will be generated: "error, driver not validated for this operating system".
To solve this use the following workaround (Courtesy How-to: bypass "The driver being installed is not validated for this computer" :: Planetary Annihilation Bug Reporting! )
  • Download the ZIP version of driver package.
  • Extract the zip file somewhere easy to find, e.g your "Desktop".
  • Go to Device Manager
  • In "Display Adapters" find "Intel(R) HD Graphics"
  • Right click on it and go to "Properties"
  • Now new window should appear.
  • Click "Driver" tab
  • Then click "Update Driver..." button.
  • A new window will appear.
  • Now click on "Browse my computer for driver software"
  • It's will show you next page.
  • WARNING: DO NOT click on "Browse" here! Ignore this form!
  • Click on "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer"
  • In this window click on "Have Disk..." button.
  • A window pop's up to find the driver
  • Navigate to the extracted driver folder
  • Point to the "Graphics" sub-folder
  • Select the Intel® Iris™ Plus Graphics 650 Driver found in the extracted zip file
  • Clicking next will update the driver. (Screen will flicker several times)
  • Upon completion the Driver property page should list 21.20.16.4664 (4/21/2017)
Restart the system after update and re-check the driver version

The above listed driver and procedure works for Windows 10 PRO version 10.0.14393 Build 14393

IMPORTANT:
Win 10 has received a major update this year (Creators update, 10.0.15063 Build 15063). This update might install automatically or through the WIndows Update shortcut palced on the users desktop. When updating to this build the Display Driver is updated automatically to a non-working version (in my case to 22.20.16.4771)

Downgrading to 21.20.16.4664 (4/21/2017) following the above steps is therefore required.

jsgsslo

n3wb
Reaction score
Here was Intel's response to me (I started the initial thread on the Intel support forum):

-----------------------------------------------

I just received an update on this matter after several labs were performed we determine that:

1. Blue Iris is not fully optimized for Windows 10 (unless the users uses an independent graphics card) and it consumes almost all the resources available from the CPU, however it does not consume a lot of memory, meaning that the CPU will do all the tasks (that's the specific reason why it consumes a 100% of CPU usage).

2. Blue Iris works smoothly on Windows 7 and a nuc5i7ryh (as well with a NUC7i7BNH) due to the fact that it "divides" the workload between the CPU and the RAM memory, so the processor is not always in charge of performing all the tasks.

3. At this point we suggest to try different software

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards,
Alberto R

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
...due to the fact that it "divides" the workload between the CPU and the RAM memory, so the processor is not always in charge of performing all the tasks.
RAM can execute code? Who knew? :idk::smash:

The more I see this problem, the more I think that it relates to some difference with later processors. My old clunker 4th gen machines run BI on Win 10 just fine. Seems most having problems are later 7th and 8th gen CPUs.

Last edited:

Bboy486

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
RAM can execute code? Who knew? :idk::smash:

The more I see this problem, the more I think that it relates to some difference with later processors. My old clunker 4th gen machines run BI on Win 10 just fine. Seems most having problems are later 7th and 8th gen CPUs.
Silly question but how do you identify the gen on a processor? I don't see it under system info.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

giomania

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
This works however it does NOT support 8th gen CPUs

Summary of issues found and a guide on how to fix.
=========================================================================================
Symptoms:
Running BI on a fresh WIN10 PRO install with HW Acceleration enabled will show the following behavior:
  • Slowly creeping CPU usage up to 100%
  • Frequent system crash
Because of the frequent random crashes, the BI system is not workable.

Cause:
The root cause lies in a problem with the video driver when using "Intel HD hardware acceleration" in Blue Iris

Upon fresh install WIN10 PRO installs the Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650 driver version 22.20.16.4471 which causes this issue and is described on the http://www.IPCAMTALK.COM forum, search for "Memory Leak"

I have tried the following drivers from the Intel support website:

Does not work:
Solution:

Works:

The 21.20.16.4664 driver is included in the [15.45] release package and has to be installed from the win_15418.4664. zip package dated 9/16/2017.

Note: although the website tells you this is not the latest version, be sure to use this one because the latest version will not work.

The zip file can be downloaded from: Download Intel® Graphics Driver for Windows* [15.45]-

If you download the exe file or try installing using the setup.exe will an error message will be generated: "error, driver not validated for this operating system".
To solve this use the following workaround (Courtesy How-to: bypass "The driver being installed is not validated for this computer" :: Planetary Annihilation Bug Reporting! )
  • Download the ZIP version of driver package.
  • Extract the zip file somewhere easy to find, e.g your "Desktop".
  • Go to Device Manager
  • In "Display Adapters" find "Intel(R) HD Graphics"
  • Right click on it and go to "Properties"
  • Now new window should appear.
  • Click "Driver" tab
  • Then click "Update Driver..." button.
  • A new window will appear.
  • Now click on "Browse my computer for driver software"
  • It's will show you next page.
  • WARNING: DO NOT click on "Browse" here! Ignore this form!
  • Click on "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer"
  • In this window click on "Have Disk..." button.
  • A window pop's up to find the driver
  • Navigate to the extracted driver folder
  • Point to the "Graphics" sub-folder
  • Select the Intel® Iris™ Plus Graphics 650 Driver found in the extracted zip file
  • Clicking next will update the driver. (Screen will flicker several times)
  • Upon completion the Driver property page should list 21.20.16.4664 (4/21/2017)
Restart the system after update and re-check the driver version

The above listed driver and procedure works for Windows 10 PRO version 10.0.14393 Build 14393

IMPORTANT:
Win 10 has received a major update this year (Creators update, 10.0.15063 Build 15063). This update might install automatically or through the WIndows Update shortcut palced on the users desktop. When updating to this build the Display Driver is updated automatically to a non-working version (in my case to 22.20.16.4771)

Downgrading to 21.20.16.4664 (4/21/2017) following the above steps is therefore required.
I was curious if you had to stop the Blue Iris program and/or service before updating the Intel display driver in order for this to be effective? I saw reports in another thread that this was required for some people to get the rollback to work.

Thanks.

BlueWave

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6900K CPU @ 3.20GHz, 3201 Mhz, 8 Core(s), 16 Logical Processor(s)
32.0 GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070

I'm running 16 cameras on BI on Windows 10 and it uses less than 30% CPU and under 4GB Ram.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
i7-6900K doesn't support Quick Sync so it wouldn't suffer from the memory leak / elevating CPU usage problems.

HEVNBND

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

HEVNBND

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Well.... I installed at one location and 3 hours later I went from 74% to 100% with drivers provided by bp2008. This location is running an i5-8400. I just restarted the computer again and will report back my findings.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Did you follow all the steps in order?

I can think of several ways someone could screw up replacing the existing media SDK files with the older versions from the zip file.

One way to confirm you are doing it right would be to skip step 2 and leave Blue Iris running while you try to replace the Media SDK files. Windows should give you an error message saying the files are locked or in use, and be unable to finish overwriting everything. This confirms that you are trying to overwrite the correct files. Closing Blue Iris should allow Windows to finish overwriting those files.

It might also be important to start with Intel Graphics Driver Version 15.60.2.4901 installed. I doubt it really matters, as long as you have an official Intel driver installed when you start. But just to be safe I made step 1 be to install that driver version since that is what I had done.

Rebooting should not be necessary at any point unless an Intel driver installer told you to.

Last edited: