BI not happy with any hardware acceleration

JT Blue Iris

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have a system as described below that runs fine so long as no hardware acceleration is used. (CPU runs at 50 to 60% with no hardware decode)
If I select Nvidia acceleration, the GPU decode core goes into action, but CPU goes to 100% within a few minutes and system becomes unstable. (and sometimes BI will crash)
If I select Intel acceleration, Windows crashes within a few minutes. ( I have tried the latest 26.20.100.7985 driver and the.7323 that is listed in the Cliff Notes as stable with same results)

Set up is:
BI v5.2.5.3, recording continuous, direct to disc.
Win 10 PRO x64
i7 – 8700
Nvidia GTX 960 Running version 445.75
6 HIKVision 4MP cameras and 6 HIK 8MP, 15 FPS Max encode.
single Dell 30" display in portrait mode
Intel latest 26.20.100.7985 driver or the.7323 that is listed in the Cliff Notes as stable with same results
Only antivirus installed is Windows defender and Real-time protection is turned off and all scans are suspended, defrag suspended.

(I also have a second BI system with very similar hardware (i7-7700K) that is looking at the same cameras, with the same version of everything and it's running fine with quick sync doing a great job??)

I can't figure out what the difference is?
I really want Intel's hardware decoding to work.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
No idea. My i7-8700K is very stable on 5.2.5.3 with a whole lot of H.264 cams being Intel decoded. 7985 driver.

JT Blue Iris

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Southern Yankee,
are you asking me to send my screenshots of same or what?
because once I enable Intel decoding I won't have time to get to task manager before Windows crashes..

JT Blue Iris

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
"Windows" crashes? Blue screen? Instant reboot?
I guess it's what blue screen is now, screen goes blue with sad face and looks like it's writing x percent to a crash file …

and what's really frustrating is when this happens BI changes each camera setting to NO instead of Default

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Ok then. It could be caused by disk corruption somewhere (in which case, most likely solvable by uninstalling and reinstalling the Intel driver, or the entire OS). Or it could be that your Quick Sync hardware is physically faulty.

Of course it could also be that the driver is just buggy and something about your configuration sets it off.

JT Blue Iris

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ok then. It could be caused by disk corruption somewhere (in which case, most likely solvable by uninstalling and reinstalling the Intel driver, or the entire OS). Or it could be that your Quick Sync hardware is physically faulty.

Of course it could also be that the driver is just buggy and something about your configuration sets it off.
I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the entire Intel driver numerous times.
I will check the disk corruption angle. (but if this were the case wouldn't it also crash without quick sync?)
I'm struggling with the quick sync hardware being bad, but I suppose it's possible.. That's a pretty expensive swapout…

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Computers are damned complex and often an instability only comes out when a huge sequence of events happens exactly a certain way. If it is caused by corruption, the corrupted bit might not normally run if Quick Sync isn't enabled.

Could also be a bent pin from installing the CPU or anything. You never know.

JT Blue Iris

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
okay after some more testing where I took the Nvidia graphics card out and just used the onboard Intel GC, and as soon as I started BI using hardware decoding Windows crashed. So I'm convinced that it's either the motherboard or the Intel chip.
I'm thinking start with the motherboard as being more likely to have a failure than the chip, but I'm interested to hear what everybody else has to say.
With that said, are there any preferred brands/chipsets to go along with this i7-8700 socket 1151 chip that anybody likes for use with BI?
Currently I have an ASRock z-370 MB so I'm thinking not ASRock or z-370 for this test, maybe ASUS Z-390..

JT Blue Iris

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
solved it was the motherboard, don't know if it's just this ASRock Z790 Taichi or all of them..
Thanks everybody for all suggestions!