BI not showing 720p

Reaction score
Hi All,

I've just recently joined this forum, as I have just recently installed my first IP camera. It's been a great resource of info, and even hepled me make the decision to go with BI.

I have this camera https://www.amazon.co.uk/IdeaNext-Waterproof-Surveillance-Smartphone-Detection/dp/B015IUIARQ, which is ONVIF supported, and provides a very good image both day and night etc, which for the price I'm very happy. I also understand that BI doesnt support 1080p, so if that's the case, I haven't over spent! :)

I followed the youtibe video at the top of this board, on how to add an IP camera that isn't in the BI dropdown list, by using ODM and finding the video stream path. So far so good.... At first, BI picked up the picture and I was able to use Stream 1 from the camera, which was the 720p resolution. It had some lag, but then that's probably because the camera is currentlty connected to Wifi, as is my laptop which I'm running BI on, nether the less, still good quality and works well, albeit below the 25fps of the camera's capability.

I decided to drop down to the next stream which was 640x380, which inproved the frame rate up to 25fps constantly (even over wifi), but obviously not as clear a picture. Then I decided to see if I could go back to the 720p stream, and just drop the Bitrate down on the camera interface, to see if that improved the FPS. However, it now wont even pick up the signal from the 720p stream, even when I drop the bitrate down to 256kbps....

I will ultimately connect the camera up to Powerline adapters, and the laptop to my network via ethernet to ensure consistant bandwidth and less interferance from other devices, however, does anyone know why I am now no longer able to get the 720p stream? I have tried many settings including bitrates, FPS settings in BI, but I get nothing. Granted, under 720p initially I was getting anywhere between 4fps and around 18fps, so I wondered if BI just wouldnt pick up a signal, if the FPS were below a particular number?

All in all, BI is brilliant, got triggers set up and emails with images and video footage, couldnt ask for more, just a bit frustrated with not getting back to the 720p stream. I suspect it's probably just wifi bandwidth and interference, but thought I would ask one of you experts! :)

Thanks in advance. Great Forum!

Darren

Reaction score
Hi Fender man,

I have deleted and added the camera twice to no affect. it picked up 720p at first, I went down a stream quality, and now it won't pick it back up.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Fender man,

I have deleted and added the camera twice to no affect. it picked up 720p at first, I went down a stream quality, and now it won't pick it back up.

You have something set wrong. Post images of your blue iris video configuration settings and the camera settings.

Reaction score
You have something set wrong. Post images of your blue iris video configuration settings and the camera settings.
Here are the configs:

Camera Settings for Stream 1 (720p)
Camera Config.jpg
BI Settings:
BI Camera Config.jpgBI Video Tab.jpg

Changing the path to Stream 2 (680x360), you can see the stream behind the settings window:
BI Settings (Stream 2).jpg
FYI, ODM also doesnt receive a signal for Stream 1, but OK for Stream 2. Seems like an issue with the stream coming from the camera, as neither BI or ODM gets a signal. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks

Reaction score
just to add to that. I can pick up the 720p stream 1 via the mobile app for the camera, and also via the web interface for the camera...

Reaction score
I rebooted it twice... same result, but I will try again and let you know.

so you're happy with the settings?

Kayfersmum

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi @Darren Climie-Newman, did you manage to get this resolved? I'm having the same issue with ideanext cameras. I've followed all the instructions from their website, but Blue Iris is selecting the second stream setting on them all, rather than the first. I've deleted and reinstalled three times and have reinstalled the software, but to no avail. Any help and guidance would be appreciated x

UPDATE : I've managed to solve this (I think!). This is the process I followed in case anyone else gets stuck on this:

I deleted the cameras from BI, rebooted the cameras themselves and added them as new cameras one by one and leaving the default as ch0. I think the key to get them working on this occasion (when it hadn't worked before) was to use a new short name - although I had deleted the cameras previously, I was using the same short name and I think that was causing problems. I also saved those settings and then went back into make changes to triggers etc.

Last edited: