BI Not starting - Demo Mode

Reaction score
Hi there. I'm new to BI and wanted to evaluate the application for use with IP cameras. Read great things about the app and then couldn't use the demo at all. I'm running a Win 10 Pro 64-bit OS on a 6th Core i7, 32GB Ram, 512GB SSD, 8GB Nvidia. I get this error any time I start the App and go into "Demo" mode.
2017-01-13.png
Then nothing happens after I hit "OK". If I try to run it as a non-Admin, I get this message:
2017-01-13-2.png
So basically I don't see the point here...

But going back to the original issue, I can't seem to get this app to run on what is essentially an almost brand new system with pretty good hardware. I'm a little concerned that this may prove to be as troublesome as the Samsung Smartcam app which I'm trying to get away from.
Any ideas?
And BTW, yes, I did try to install the latest update; got a message saying this:
2017-01-13-3.png
That is weird because clearly the app is installed... and it brings me no closer to a solution. I sent an email to support and waiting on a reply, but would like to see if anyone had a similar experience...
Thanks in advance!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
There must be a bug in the latest update..another user reported this as well...you will need to wait for another release.
Blue iris is very reliable and stable. You need to follow a few simple rules.
1) disable auto update
2) update only after a release has been out for some time
3) always download updates from the website you can can revert back to that update in the future if you need to.
Also you will want to remove the nvidia card and use intel hd video as blue iris supports hardware acceleration using intel quicksync.
Also, since you are using skylake, some intel drivers have ea memory leak for h.264 recording...there is a thread discussing it...this occurs if using hardware acceleration.

Reaction score
Hey, thanks for the quick response! I really appreciate that!
OK, just to clarify on your points above:
1) I can't disable auto update if I can't even get the software to run
2) As you can see from the 3rd image, the update provided by BI did not install because it couldn't find the software.
3) Yes, the software was downloaded directly from BI's site; no 3rd party website or other location
And while it is good to know that it supports intel hd video, there is no way I'm removing my Nvidia GC for a buggy app. BI's site actually said that it favors the Nvidia platform right on the download page: Download Blue Iris
So, if it is just buggy, then I guess there isn't much I can do; timing is bad though. I'm evaluating apps to use in a package for a surveillance system for clients. I need something dependable and I'm not off to a good start here despite very good recommendations I've seen online. Trouble-free is more valuable than the feature set right now but I know the latter tends to gain importance as time goes on. I guess I'll keep this on hold for the time being and see other available options...

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hey, thanks for the quick response! I really appreciate that!
OK, just to clarify on your points above:
1) I can't disable auto update if I can't even get the software to run
2) As you can see from the 3rd image, the update provided by BI did not install because it couldn't find the software.
3) Yes, the software was downloaded directly from BI's site; no 3rd party website or other location
And while it is good to know that it supports intel hd video, there is no way I'm removing my Nvidia GC for a buggy app. BI's site actually said that it favors the Nvidia platform right on the download page: Download Blue Iris
So, if it is just buggy, then I guess there isn't much I can do; timing is bad though. I'm evaluating apps to use in a package for a surveillance system for clients. I need something dependable and I'm not off to a good start here despite very good recommendations I've seen online. Trouble-free is more valuable than the feature set right now but I know the latter tends to gain importance as time goes on. I guess I'll keep this on hold for the time being and see other available options...
The suggestions were for future use when the installer is updated or if you figure out what the problem is by emailing support. Any VMS should be installed on the dedicated machine you should not be using the same machine for gaming or other purposes. There are plenty of other software packages available be prepared to pay between 50 and $150 per camera licensing. Once again blue iris is extremely stable if you follow the above-mentioned rules. I run more than 20 Blue Iris machines with no issues by using those common-sense rules, if you're willing to spend the cash there are much better VMS options for you but be prepared to pay those prices. With respect to Nvidia mentioned on the website it only benefits a large number of cameras when displaying the live display and even then is only beneficial if your system will allow you to run both Intel HD and in video simultaneously, some can... running a high-powered high power draw video card when a system running 24/7 is a bad idea and a waste of money. Blue iris DOES NOT SUPPORT HARDWARE ACCELERATION using the nvida card. That is why the site says "Intel core i7 with QuickSync for hardware decoding" quicksync is a function of onboard intel HD video.

Last edited:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
The issue with the installer has been confirmed in another thread ..It will likely be resolved soon if not already...