BI not triggering when people were walking in the distance

alwaysoff

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have a camera pointing at my driveway, towards the road. It would trigger BI when cars were passing through, but when people were walking on the road, it won't trigger BI. I am guessing this may be because "Min Object Size" is too big? Is there a way to set different "Min object size" for different areas of the screen, so that it is set to small for distant objects, and bigger for areas closer to the camera?

Or perhaps because there isn't enough contrast at night whereas cars' headlights would provide that contrast to trigger BI motion?

This is the view:
1632570997710.png

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
My answer to your other post regarding the "objects" triggering your cam could solve the above as well. In other words, you need more illumination, IMO.
I'd disable the cam's IR and install an appropriate (beam width/depth and output) outboard emitter to throw some light on that driveway and toward the road.
Once in place, tweak the motion detection settings.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Are you using the AI in the camera?

Are you on default/auto settings?

In any event, objects on the edges can be problematic for some fields of view. You can see the IR is pointing right at your driveway.

One camera cannot be the see all/do all, so if you really want the street, you need a varifocal pointed that way.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Properly "tune" the camera for the field of view. You need to take the camera off of factory defaults and set it up using the manual adjustments. Common issues with camera image | IP Cam Talk

Use the AI in that camera, it will work much more reliably then then BI motion, with lots less false alerts.

Tilt the camera up just a tad, this also raise's the IR illumination and improves it's throw.

Bottom right corner of the picture, you are experiencing IR glare from something (white area) change the zoom of the camera or adjust the FOV so you don't have the IR bounce, it is affecting your camera's exposure.

With some adjustments, you can improve that view quit a bit.

alwaysoff

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Are you using the AI in the camera?
No, I'm just using BI's motion detection

Are you on default/auto settings?
I set the profile on the camera to "Day/Night", which I assume would auto switch the profile based on light level? I would like to explore perhaps writing a script that will set the profile of the camera based on sun elevation. I just need to find out how to switch the profile of the camera remotely. However, it isn't the cause of this particular issue.

These are my settings:
Backlight: OFF
Illuminator: Auto
Defog: OFF

1632599851051.png
1632599821167.png

1632599835593.png

1632599885719.png

I'll play with the camera angle tonight. I pointed it down so it can see more of the bottom left area though. And it's hard to remove the bottom right pillar without losing most of the driveway close to the house.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Ok you need to use the camera AI.

The day/night in the camera doesn't do what you think, so fortunately someone here already wrote the script based on sun...

alwaysoff

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It seems that this is the way: Switch Dahua Day/Night Profile via IPC HTTP API
For my T5442T-ZE:

To switch to day:
Bash:
curl --digest -u 'user:pass' 'http://192.168.5.10/cgi-bin/configManager.cgi?action=setConfig&VideoInMode[0].Config[0]=0'
To Switch to night:
Bash:
curl --digest -u 'user:pass' 'http://192.168.5.10/cgi-bin/configManager.cgi?action=setConfig&VideoInMode[0].Config[0]=1'
I use OpenHAB and can already keep track of the sun's elevation using its astro binding, so it's only a matter of issuing a GET request to the correct url to switch the profile.

Last edited:

alwaysoff

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ok you need to use the camera AI.
In the camera:
I've just tried enabling "Motion Detection" and setting up zones. I've also enabled "Smart Motion Detection" for "Human" and "Motor Vehicle".
1632605759920.png

In BlueIris camera trigger: deactivate "Motion Sensor" and enable "Camera's digital input or motion alarm"
1632605698234.png

Then a car just happened to drive by but BlueIris wasn't triggered. Can BlueIris use the camera's motion detection for its trigger?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Don't use Smart Motion Detection and try IVS rules instead.

Then you need to go back into BI and go to the camera setting and select the "pull onvif triggers" box and then re-hit the find/inspect so that BI is pulling those settings.

alwaysoff

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Don't use Smart Motion Detection and try IVS rules instead.

Then you need to go back into BI and go to the camera setting and select the "pull onvif triggers" box and then re-hit the find/inspect so that BI is pulling those settings.
Thanks! Bingo: onvif triggers!

On the Dahua camera web interface, I can't figure out how to properly "Draw" the line (for tripwire?) or an area for other options. It just keeps wanting me to add more vertices to the polygon. I can't seem to "close / finalise" the polygon.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Just right click the mouse to end it.

Try the intrusion box, most of us have found that is more reliable.

Last edited:

alwaysoff

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
When using the camera's detection feature, is there a way to generate different alerts in Blueiris for different areas of the video?

For example, a tripwire event for something going towards the house should generate an MQTT message e.g. "visitor", and cars driving by or people walking on the road, should generate a different MQTT message, e.g. "motion_on_road".

Using BlueIris' motion detection, I can do this using different zones, and sending a specific MQTT message just for that zone.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
When using the camera's detection feature, is there a way to generate different alerts in Blueiris for different areas of the video?

For example, a tripwire event for something going towards the house should generate an MQTT message e.g. "visitor", and cars driving by or people walking on the road, should generate a different MQTT message, e.g. "motion_on_road".

Using BlueIris' motion detection, I can do this using different zones, and sending a specific MQTT message just for that zone.
Not yet. I wish it had that option for tripwires! You would have to use BI motion and zones.

alwaysoff

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have turned off the camera IVS and going back to BlueIris' motion detection. I have set up Zone A and B, so that Zone A covers half of the road, and Zone B covers the other half of the road. I've also set up Zone C for the end of my driveway and Zone D for the inside of the driveway, so that I can detect C>D indicating something is coming towards the house.

1632743545660.png

then I set up "Object Detection" "Object Crosses Zone" as follows:
1632743663451.png

So far, this will detect cars going up and down the road, but even during daylight / good light, it didn't trigger/alert on:
  • Fast moving cars
  • People in bicycles
  • Pedestrians

My dahua cam main stream is 4MP, h265 CBR 8192bps, 15fps, iframe: 15
2nd substream: h265 1280x720 (720p), CBR 2048bps, 15fps, iframe: 15

What should I adjust in order to get the trigger working for the fast cars, bicycles, pedestrian?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Try turning off the object travels so many pixels and turn off reset detector. Both of those are used to eliminate false triggers and you have the opposite going on.

Min object size probably needs to be smaller to get people in the street.

I would make the min contrast a lot lower also - trying to get people out in the street is beyond the "sweet spot" of the camera field of view and infrared, so it will struggle out there.

I'd suggest setting up IVS for Zone C or D and let the camera AI IVS notify BI (and you) if there is motion in that area).

alwaysoff

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Try turning off the object travels so many pixels and turn off reset detector. Both of those are used to eliminate false triggers and you have the opposite going on.

Min object size probably needs to be smaller to get people in the street.

I would make the min contrast a lot lower also - trying to get people out in the street is beyond the "sweet spot" of the camera field of view and infrared, so it will struggle out there.

I'd suggest setting up IVS for Zone C or D and let the camera AI IVS notify BI (and you) if there is motion in that area).
After making your suggested adjustments, the trigger now works on pedestrians, bicyclists, etc. Thank you!