BI on an x99 platform -- which processor .. more cores/lower clock or fewer cores/higher clock?

JayBart

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'm currently running BI on an older x99 platform (I know this is not an ideal platform for BI since it doesn't have quicksync -- It's a system I already had and cost me nothing). I'm currently running a 6850k (other specs -- 64gig ddr 4 ram, samgg 980pro nvme boot/3x 10tb wd red drives). I'm doing hardware decoding on a 2070 super.

System was running reasonably well, at around 50% load (direct to disk enabled, "limit decode" not enabled, overlays disabled on all cameras) with 10 cameras, all of them are dhaua IPC-HFW81230E-ZE, running at 4000x3000/10fps. I just added 4 more, and while BI is running fine with no lag, the processor is running at close to 90%, sometimes higher. BI is taking up 60-70%.

I have the opportunity to get (for free) either a xeon e5-2699-v4 (2.2g, 22 cores, 44 threads) or a xeon e5-2697-v3 (2.6g, 16c/32 t). Again, I get that this isn't an ideal setup for BI -- but which cpu would be better, in this situation? lower core, slightly higher base clock, or more cores, slightly lower base clock? or is it not going to make any difference for BI? I'm leaning towards the 2699, since the decoding is being done on the nviida gpu, but this is just gut at this point.

(I understand that getting a cheap dell would work fine, and that's likely what I'll do down the road, for now I'd prefer avoid spending money if I can. Other than running at high cpu load, the system is running fine, zero crashes and no issues).

JayBart

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
well, just got the 22 core e5-2699 .. I'll drop it in later today and report back.

JayBart

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
for what it's worth, the 2699 made a massive, massive difference .. went from 90+% cpu usage on the 6850k, now down to 25-30% with the 2699, for practically the same tdp. Granted, not what I'd recommend for a BI setup and certainly not efficient, but saved me from having to spend money to get new hardware.