BI on iphone using OpenVPN

OICU2

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Hi, recently setup OpenVPN on my network, everything works fine on my Android phone with the BI app. However, on an iphone, I can successfully connect to my network via openvpn but the BI app does not connect to the BI server. It comes back with "unable to make connection, check server address". The IP settings in the BI app are all correct and it can even lookup the info from pushing the lookup key button. I can connect directly to the BI UI3 webpage using Safari or Chrome, but the BI app can't connect for some reason. Any ideas?

Dudester

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
i think I was having the same issue several months ago. On the app when you on the VPN you have to have your lan ip in the WAN IP box also since your already inside your network.

Rednick69

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi, recently setup OpenVPN on my network, everything works fine on my Android phone with the BI app. However, on an iphone, I can successfully connect to my network via openvpn but the BI app does not connect to the BI server. It comes back with "unable to make connection, check server address". The IP settings in the BI app are all correct and it can even lookup the info from pushing the lookup key button. I can connect directly to the BI UI3 webpage using Safari or Chrome, but the BI app can't connect for some reason. Any ideas?
When you're using your iPhone are you on another WIFI connection? Reason I ask is I have OpenVPN setup at home and my business. Both private networks are on the 192.168.1.0/24 subnets. If I was on my WIFI at home and connected to my VPN connection at my business it wouldn't see my business network, only home. This is some issue with iOS or the OpenVPN app on iOS. I use the same cert and credentials at home on my Windows PC to connect back to my business and have no issues.

What I did was change my private IP range at my business to 192.168.2.0/24 and this fixed the issues. Please let me know if this is your problem as well.

OICU2

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
It works anywhere else but at my FIL's house, which is on the same ISP as I am. Even before I set up OpenVPN, he could not connect using the BI app when on his Wifi. Something must be blocked through the ISP.

Rednick69

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It works anywhere else but at my FIL's house, which is on the same ISP as I am. Even before I set up OpenVPN, he could not connect using the BI app when on his Wifi. Something must be blocked through the ISP.
I just read where you said it works if you use a browser but not the app. I wouldn’t think it’s the ISP if you’re using OpenVPN since your tunnel is connecting. It has to be an app setting not set right.

OICU2

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I just read where you said it works if you use a browser but not the app. I wouldn’t think it’s the ISP if you’re using OpenVPN since your tunnel is connecting. It has to be an app setting not set right.
Sorry, that part is working now.