BI PC w/2 NIC’s and Auto DHCP ... At Risk??

bugsysiegals

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I was running my cameras through a dedicated PoE switch which connects to one of my router ports which is on its own VLAN/Bridge. I’d created firewall rules to only allow traffic on that bridge to communicate to openvpn, gmail, and NTP server and as far as I know from watching accepted packets in the log table, everything was secure.

Since others were recommending 2 NIC’s and it seems more secure than trusting scripts to run and apply firewall rules after every reboot, I’ve added a second NIC to my BI PC. I've connected 1 NIC to the PoE switch with cameras and the other to a different port on the router with its own VLAN/Bridge.

I’ve left both Ethernet adapters on default settings and not set static IP’s, subnet masks, gateways, etc. The BI PC has internet access and can access the cameras. I’ve read about only putting a gateway one one card otherwise you may not have internet etc. but I have internet.

All that to say, am I at risk of being hacked by leaving the Ethernet adapters on auto dhcp and letting it automatically assign a gateway, etc. or are the cameras secure?

Last edited:

bugsysiegals

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
FWIW - I connected my laptop to the camera PoE switch and while I could access the cameras, I couldn’t access anything on the internet so I presume that even though the NICs both have gateways assigned, the traffic does not talk to each other.