BI playback sometimes freezes

louyo

n3wb
Reaction score
Occasionally, an alert playback will freeze about 2-3 seconds into the recording. After the next alert, then this one will play back normally. Sometimes, it even backs up a frame or 2. Can't supply any samples unless I can catch one before it gets "fixed" by the next alert.
running version 4.8.4.7, can't update until next week, system has no Internet access. System has I7 processor and there is only this one camera connected (pilot for 12 camera project). I am thinking that BI is not closing the file, am trying to catch it. Very intermittent. I don't think they are related, but BI also (occasionally) fails to record the 3 second pre trigger buffer.
Still in learn mode, we have DVR's for the old analog system.
Thanks.
edit: rats, should have put this in troubleshooting. Sorry, dumb mistake.

Last edited:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Occasionally, an alert playback will freeze about 2-3 seconds into the recording. After the next alert, then this one will play back normally. Sometimes, it even backs up a frame or 2. Can't supply any samples unless I can catch one before it gets "fixed" by the next alert.
running version 4.8.4.7, can't update until next week, system has no Internet access. System has I7 processor and there is only this one camera connected (pilot for 12 camera project). I am thinking that BI is not closing the file, am trying to catch it. Very intermittent. I don't think they are related, but BI also (occasionally) fails to record the 3 second pre trigger buffer.
Still in learn mode, we have DVR's for the old analog system.
Thanks.
edit: rats, should have put this in troubleshooting. Sorry, dumb mistake.
I moved the thread.
What format are you recording to? Use BVR.
When using direct to disk recording, blue iris can only begin recording on a new iframe. If you have long iframe intervals it will miss prerecording. Match the iframe interval to the fps.

louyo

n3wb
Reaction score
I moved the thread.
What format are you recording to? Use BVR.
When using direct to disk recording, blue iris can only begin recording on a new iframe. If you have long iframe intervals it will miss prerecording. Match the iframe interval to the fps.
OK, it is BVR, Direct to Disk, FPS=15, iFrame =50.
How to calculate iFrame please?

louyo

n3wb
Reaction score
Set the iframe to match the FPS.
In the video tab for the camera and blueiris uncheck also bvr.
Thanks, done. Will know when the herd leaves at quitting time :).
This camera is monitoring 3 doors (2 indoor) and a stairway.

OK, that fixed the "missing 3 seconds" problem. The freeze problem still exists. 1 out of about 12 alerts froze 2 or 3 seconds and would not play until another alert was recorded. I copied the file in that interim and will try to run it on my BI here. The file was not locked and the size didn't change after I could play it. I am suspicious that viewing it in the Web server might have been the cause, I thank you for your help.

Last edited:

louyo

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks, done. Will know when the herd leaves at quitting time :).
This camera is monitoring 3 doors (2 indoor) and a stairway.

OK, that fixed the "missing 3 seconds" problem. The freeze problem still exists. 1 out of about 12 alerts froze 2 or 3 seconds and would not play until another alert was recorded. I copied the file in that interim and will try to run it on my BI here. The file was not locked and the size didn't change after I could play it. I am suspicious that viewing it in the Web server might have been the cause, I thank you for your help.
Things running smoothly, never did pin down the freeze during playback. I think it had to do with the alert updating the clip or whatever it does. I have to try to play the alert right after it happens, perhaps that is part of the problem. Thanks for the help, great forum.