BI Powerline Cameras slow connection/studder/choppy - not camera issue. (help needed)

Meir MaSe Miyara

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi Guys,
i have a full license for BI 4.X
i also have 10 Logitech Alert cameras.
All connected via PowerLine adapter.

When i have logitech alert center running i can view all cameras crystal clear with no issues.
But when i use BI it seems that sometimes the cameras get cut off, half the screen go gray, blurred lines (randomly) etc etc .
It just seems like the signal strength in BI is low... But again, the kicker is that when i use the logitech alert commander desktop App, this does not happen.
So that tells me its not a signal strength issue specifically
im trying to figure out how can i make BI work better with my cameras....
i have added 2 screenshots.
1 is for the actual camera showing what the issue i am describing
the second screenshot is for the config of the camera page.

Any help will be highly appreciated. thank you.
PS - BI is connected via cat6 cable directly into the router on a 1GB network.

Attachments

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Re: BI Powerline Cameras slow connection/studder/choppy - not camera issue. (help nee

Try to view the cameras in VLC media player.

What video encoding options do the logitech cameras have? Any?

Meir MaSe Miyara

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Re: BI Powerline Cameras slow connection/studder/choppy - not camera issue. (help nee

i dont think the logitech cams even allow you the option to change the encoder....
When i view from the logitech alert commander they work fine with no issues....
so i am unsure if its the cameras. maybe something on how BI is recognizing them and negotiating the connection with them....

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score

increase the receive buffer and see if that helps..

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score

The only thing I can think of is maybe the cameras are streaming to something else (like logitech alert commander) and they can't handle multiple streams well so Blue Iris gets the short stick? This is why I suggested you try VLC media player, because if VLC also has similar problems then it would be further evidence that the cameras may be trying to send out too many streams. On the other hand if VLC has no problems even while Blue Iris is unable to handle the same stream, then it suggests Blue Iris is the problem.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score

Oh and also there is the possibility that your CPU is getting maxed out. If it is going above 90% then I would say it is overloaded and you need a faster PC for Blue Iris, or you at least need to reduce the frame rate of the logitech cameras somehow.

Meir MaSe Miyara

Young grasshopper
Reaction score

Oh and also there is the possibility that your CPU is getting maxed out. If it is going above 90% then I would say it is overloaded and you need a faster PC for Blue Iris, or you at least need to reduce the frame rate of the logitech cameras somehow.
Hi, thanks for helping man...
So i have tried to increase the buffer size, went all the way up to the max of 20MB. Still no help.
I have installed vLC and tried to do network stream but that does not work i assume due to logitech camera requires authentication and i am unsure how i can do so from VLC player.
Also in regards to the computer it is barely on 28% it is a Core i7 sandy bridge with 64GB of memory.
Still trying to troubleshoot this but kills me that via logitech proprietary desktop app its flawless with all cameras connected BI is acting like low bandwidth

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score

Have you tried disabling the stream to the logitech app and just running blue iris on its own as bp2008 suggested?

Meir MaSe Miyara

Young grasshopper
Reaction score

Have you tried disabling the stream to the logitech app and just running blue iris on its own as bp2008 suggested?
OK, now after re-reading this i understand the logic of what you guys are saying.
the only question is how do i disable / check the streams coming from the cameras out?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score

you dont have to disable anything in the camera..just shut down the logitech alert software on the pc...

Meir MaSe Miyara

Young grasshopper
Reaction score

you dont have to disable anything in the camera..just shut down the logitech alert software on the pc...
ahhhh ok in that case it is already shut down, infact it is never launched. i use only BI
So that means its not that :(
i opened the commander just to see if the view on the cameras look the same in the alert commander ... and it is not... it is crystal clear in the commander desktop app... damn:(

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score

have you updated to the latest version of BI?
Also, it is possible that the logitech alert software is only pulling a substream for the live stream...and therefore a bandwidth limitation is not noticeable...for testing, hardwire a single camera and see whether it resolves the issue.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score

additionally, in the camera video tab, set frame rate to the next setting above the actual frame rate your camera is sending...so if you camera is set to 15, set it to 20 and uncheck "adjust automatically"

Meir MaSe Miyara

Young grasshopper
Reaction score

ok, so to answer the first question. BI is updated to the latest 4.0.2.0 x64 version.
Second, when i remove all 10 cameras and leave only 1 connected to BI the issue is not there. i agree this is a load issue but my assumption is that if on local network i QoS to allow full bandwidth to the cameras on a 100MBPs network (not that that matters since its locally), with BI connected directly via cat6 over 1GB to the switch and the Logitech commander works flawlessly, i would assume BI will be as well...
i have restarted the 2 problematic cameras now (take out of electricity, let 30 seconds reboot). and am tried your suggestions.
These cameras are running on 25fps so i adjusted it to ntsc (29) but still no luck....
any more suggestions? ill try everything,
thank you for the willingness to brainstorm with me, it is HIGHLY appreciated.

Meir MaSe Miyara

Young grasshopper
Reaction score

ok, i see something that might have an issue.
when looking at BI output of the cam i see it at 0.70fps///
so something is taking it wayyyy down....
trying to google what exactly...

update, ok so yeah... the 2 problematic cameras showing via BI below 1 fps
the working cameras with no issues show above 10 fps...
so i wonder what causes these cameras to go below 1fps...
is it their location around the house? is it BI?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score

its not bi..its your powerline adapters...they dont work in every location...its depends on the home wiring...