BI slower after intel patch?

TL1096r

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Will the new intel patch coming out for the vulnerability make BI run slower now?

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
I was just about to pose this question as well.

Also, wondering what's the future for Intel chips now, are they going to redesign them all, or are we stuck with the current issue until a completely new chip is designed from the ground up. Anyone heard what Intel are planning?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Its overblown, there is another thread on it here...you wont notice any impact on your BI machine...

bobfather

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
My CPU use is similar to what it was pre-patch.

Also @fenderman, I wouldn't call the patch itself overblown.

The worry about whether it will reduce your performance is overblown unless you're running software that makes a lot of calls to the kernel, but the exploits uncovered yesterday are true game-changers. January 2018 will be an inflection point for Intel and AMD where they were forced to make radical changes to future chip designs and to start designing for security first before designing for raw speed.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
My CPU use is similar to what it was pre-patch.

Also @fenderman, I wouldn't call the patch itself overblown.

The worry about whether it will reduce your performance is overblown unless you're running software that makes a lot of calls to the kernel, but the exploits uncovered yesterday are true game-changers. January 2018 will be an inflection point for Intel and AMD where they were forced to make radical changes to future chip designs and to start designing for security first before designing for raw speed.
I did not say the patch was overblown...i said the speed impact is over blow...context...
That said, a BI machine would generally not be vulnerable to the security flaw anyways....

SantiagoDraco

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Will the new intel patch coming out for the vulnerability make BI run slower now?
At this point there's no way to accurately predict the amount of impact the flaws (there's two) will affect performance on a given system. The patches have not been released generally yet so we won't know until then. In any case from what we know so far the performance impact will depend on the type of operation being performed. If the operation uses L2 Cache heavily then it will be impacted more than operations that do not. I'm not a programmer myself so I can't say what BI uses.

In any case it will have some impact on pretty much every x86 based platform but it's the use of the platform that will dictate the hit you will take. At least as I understand it.

TL1096r

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
True, keep this thread updated after anyone has updated.