BI stuck recording, but, not really recording

toejam

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'm constantly finding BI in a recording mode on some cameras - as depicted by the red border around the clip views. However, BI isn't actually recording, there's just a red border indicating BI is recording. I'm unable to view a clip that has a red border and have to hit the stoplight to stop the recording function, then re-hit the stoplight to return BI to normal operation.

I've gotten so used to hitting the stoplight, that I really haven't noticed if this is happening to particular cameras. I would say it's happened to all cameras over time, but, am not quite sure that's accurate.

I welcome any thoughts on what may be causing this to occur.

GuiBou

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm constantly finding BI in a recording mode on some cameras - as depicted by the red border around the clip views. However, BI isn't actually recording, there's just a red border indicating BI is recording. I'm unable to view a clip that has a red border and have to hit the stoplight to stop the recording function, then re-hit the stoplight to return BI to normal operation.

I've gotten so used to hitting the stoplight, that I really haven't noticed if this is happening to particular cameras. I would say it's happened to all cameras over time, but, am not quite sure that's accurate.

I welcome any thoughts on what may be causing this to occur.
Do you see a red dot at the top right corner? If not, it's not recording.

Envoyé de mon Nexus 7 en utilisant Tapatalk

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
You have set combine and cut and you are not recording to bvr...Record to bvr format...This allows review while clip is open...

toejam

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
No red dot in the top right corner - but, red border around clip image, which shows 12 sec of recording with a timestamp 3 minutes ago.

fenderman: not worried about reviewing the clip while recording so much as why bi says it's recording, but, actually isn't and locks up the clip until I hit the stoplight. If I set record to bvr format, can I play the resulting video in any video player? I don't want to end up only recording to a proprietary format that can't be played on other video players. If I have to send clips to the law enforcement authorities, they will need them in a standard video format.

As I'm typing here the red border just flipped off the clip view - 6 minutes after the timestamp, yet only shows 12 sec of recording.

anijet

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Easy to export a bvr clip to other formats anytime you need to. BVR is the preferred format for BI.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
No red dot in the top right corner - but, red border around clip image, which shows 12 sec of recording with a timestamp 3 minutes ago.

fenderman: not worried about reviewing the clip while recording so much as why bi says it's recording, but, actually isn't and locks up the clip until I hit the stoplight. If I set record to bvr format, can I play the resulting video in any video player? I don't want to end up only recording to a proprietary format that can't be played on other video players. If I have to send clips to the law enforcement authorities, they will need them in a standard video format.

As I'm typing here the red border just flipped off the clip view - 6 minutes after the timestamp, yet only shows 12 sec of recording.
The red border does not indicate recording..it indicates that the clip is open...MP4 and other formats need the file to be closed before being played back...
As mentioned by anijet, you can export into any format you want..there is a reason bvr is there...the ability to playback footage while recording is important if you see something going on...
if you choose to use mp4 then disable combine and cut because you will have to wait hours to review a clip..

toejam

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I don't really need the real-time playback as much as the ability to playback at anytime. Instead of having to go through file conversions, I think I'll just drop combine and cut and see if that makes things run smoother. I thought the red border meant bi was recording, but, if it means the file is open, then I can deal with that. My main concern was if bi was recording for several minutes yet the clips were only 30 seconds long, then I thought bi was stuck in some recording loop. Apparently, that's not the case and the red border just indicates the clip file is still open. It's relatively simple to stop all recordings by hitting the stoplight and move on.

Thanks for the input, as always the community is a great resource.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I don't really need the real-time playback as much as the ability to playback at anytime. Instead of having to go through file conversions, I think I'll just drop combine and cut and see if that makes things run smoother. I thought the red border meant bi was recording, but, if it means the file is open, then I can deal with that. My main concern was if bi was recording for several minutes yet the clips were only 30 seconds long, then I thought bi was stuck in some recording loop. Apparently, that's not the case and the red border just indicates the clip file is still open. It's relatively simple to stop all recordings by hitting the stoplight and move on.

Thanks for the input, as always the community is a great resource.
You can playback bvr files at ANY time using blue iris or a blue iris demo...you can also use this (havent tried it myself)
Is there a standalone BVR viewer?
BVR is more efficient than mp4 as well.
How often are you sending files over to law enforcement?