BI unusable - Smearing / glitched recordings

Meza

n3wb
Reaction score
I've got a problem with smearing artefacts on my recorded video on Blue Iris, and looking for a solution.

I am trialling Blue Iris, and installed in on a HP G7 Xeon server, on Windows Server 2012.
I've an 8 camera Sannce DVR, and hooked 7 of the cameras up to Blue Iris using the 1080p (12fps) RTSP urls exposed on the Sannce DVR box.

You'll see in the pictures the problem with the video quality in Blue Iris.
On the DVR unit itself the live and recorded video is perfect, no glitches.

I've tried increasing the receive buffer to 20mb for each camera, but it made no difference.
Does anyone recognise this issue and can suggest a fix?

Thanks

Screen Shot 2017-08-13 at 23.26.08.png Screen Shot 2017-08-13 at 23.18.13.png Screen Shot 2017-08-13 at 23.10.26.png Screen Shot 2017-08-13 at 22.50.33.png Screen Shot 2017-08-13 at 22.48.25.png Screen Shot 2017-08-13 at 22.46.59.png Screen Shot 2017-08-13 at 23.26.08.png

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I've got a problem with smearing artefacts on my recorded video on Blue Iris, and looking for a solution.

I am trialling Blue Iris, and installed in on a HP G7 Xeon server, on Windows Server 2012.
I've an 8 camera Sannce DVR, and hooked 7 of the cameras up to Blue Iris using the 1080p (12fps) RTSP urls exposed on the Sannce DVR box.

You'll see in the pictures the problem with the video quality in Blue Iris.
On the DVR unit itself the live and recorded video is perfect, no glitches.

I've tried increasing the receive buffer to 20mb for each camera, but it made no difference.
Does anyone recognise this issue and can suggest a fix?

Thanks

View attachment 20875 View attachment 20876 View attachment 20877 View attachment 20878 View attachment 20879 View attachment 20880 View attachment 20875
You must match the iframe interval in the camera/dvr to the fps...
What is your cpu usage?
try streaming 1 camera only...if the problem goes away its the crap sannce dvr not keeping up...

Meza

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions.

CPU usage was around 77%.

I've disabled all but 3 cameras in BI and will monitor how it gets on. The reported framerate in BI has gone up from 9 to 12fps. CPU usage now at 35%

Sorry I'm not sure where to set the iframe interval... ?Screen Shot 2017-08-13 at 23.53.53.png

Attachments

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions.

CPU usage was around 77%.

I've disabled all but 3 cameras in BI and will monitor how it gets on. The reported framerate in BI has gone up from 9 to 12fps. CPU usage now at 35%

Sorry I'm not sure where to set the iframe interval... ?View attachment 20881
have you set each camera to record direct to disk (record tab>file format)....this may not work in the demo (it will allow you to select it but not work) though some users reported it working in recent versions of the demo, it should reduce cpu consumption significantly.

Meza

n3wb
Reaction score
Yes I read about that and had set it up. I read that the 'Evaluation Version' watermark on the videos means that direct-to-disk doesn't work while in demo mode.
Will leave it running over night and report back on the glitching tomorrow. cheers

Attachments

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes I read about that and had set it up. I read that the 'Evaluation Version' watermark on the videos means that direct-to-disk doesn't work while in demo mode.
Will leave it running over night and report back on the glitching tomorrow. cheers
yes, if your recordings have watermarks then its not working...

Reaction score
I have the same problem, but only when playing it back via an iPhone/iPad or web interface. My clips are recorded in BlueIris format. However, when I convert them to MP4 and view them on my PC (vs. server), the smearing is only occasionally visible and is 99% better!

Meza

n3wb
Reaction score
I took the plunge and paid for the full version licence - and the recording is spot on now, smooth and great quality. Very happy.

Now if only BI could come up with an easier / cloud based way of remote access. It seems like such an important feature, and faffing about with VPNs is awkward.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I took the plunge and paid for the full version licence - and the recording is spot on now, smooth and great quality. Very happy.

Now if only BI could come up with an easier / cloud based way of remote access. It seems like such an important feature, and faffing about with VPNs is awkward.
The other alternative would require you to pass your video through someone else's server... I don't think you want to do that... Providing that service would limit speeds and quality..

Meza

n3wb
Reaction score
Hmmm I see.
What I'm saying is nest, Arlo and ring seem to be able to do a pretty good job of it, simple setup and good quality.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hmmm I see.
What I'm saying is nest, Arlo and ring seem to be able to do a pretty good job of it, simple setup and good quality.
actually they do a crap job at it, uploading highly compressed motion only recordings...and they charge you a monthly fee for it...not to mention terrible image quality and camera design relative to an ip camera at similar or lower price points. "simple setup" is code for limited options which suckers pay for.

Meza

n3wb
Reaction score
It's ok, I can see that Blue Iris and those others are aimed at completely different markets. BI is for techies who enjoy the process of getting involved, tinkering and setting things up - niche, and the others are aimed at mass market 'it just works' audience who want the benefits of CCTV without the hassle, and that to them is worth paying a 'premium' for. I hadn't closely checked the image quality, I didn't realise they were so bad.

Currently I'm using Ngrok.io, but that doesn't let me view my cameras when I'm at work as it's blocked by the work proxy.
Perhaps I will have a look at VPN. On mobile does that mean you need to launch a VPN app every time I want to check the cameras?

Reaction score
Yes, you have to “turn on” vpn on mobile to “tunnel securely into your home network”.

But it also means anytime you are on public WiFi and want to do something securely (like banking or shopping) you can flip on your vpn and add a layer of encryption over and above that of the target website.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Meza

n3wb
Reaction score
That's a nice idea.

More cost now though, as I expect my ISP provided cable modem won't support setting up a VPN (UK Virgin Media)

Reaction score
@Meza

Do you have anything connected to your cable modem, like a router with multiple ports? I suppose because I have always had a router of some type (D-Link, Netgear or ASUS) as a firewall and "port expander" on the internal side of my cablemodem I shouldn't assume everyone does. If you do have a router/switch "inside" your network that would be the first place to look if you have OpenVPN support, if you don't I'd pick one up (they should run $100 or less if you don't get fancy), and you would gain the added benefit of a hardware firewall you could keep updated to keep "hackers" (mostly script-running juveniles) from hacking their way onto your desktop/laptop connected directly to the cablemodem.

Meza

n3wb
Reaction score
I've got a netgear 24port rack switch, just using it as a dumb internal hub/switch currently.
Perhaps I can set the dlink up as a router and put the cable modem into 'modem mode' (disable routing and NAT).