BI video update time when using remote desktop

logbuilder

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm running BI 4.4.5.3x64. I have multiple locations. I'm having a problem with one of them. It gets its internet via satellite (Exede). Slow download speed (< 2Mbps) and slower upload speed. The problem is when I am away from this site, I like to use TightVNC to remote desktop into it. However, the BI console changes all the time. I can see it by the time stamps on the camera streams. This seems to be too much for VNC and it will quickly time out. Things just can't move fast enough across the satellite. Buffers fill and timeouts kick in (my guess).

On BI/Options/Cameras, there is an option called Video during Remote Desktop. I have it set to a 5-sec update. However, it updates continuously. Should this option only update the remote console every 5 secs for video streams? Am I misunderstanding something. I did read the help file and it led me to believe this option is exactly what I was looking for.

Any help you can offer will be greatly appreciated.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm running BI 4.4.5.3x64. I have multiple locations. I'm having a problem with one of them. It gets its internet via satellite (Exede). Slow download speed (< 2Mbps) and slower upload speed. The problem is when I am away from this site, I like to use TightVNC to remote desktop into it. However, the BI console changes all the time. I can see it by the time stamps on the camera streams. This seems to be too much for VNC and it will quickly time out. Things just can't move fast enough across the satellite. Buffers fill and timeouts kick in (my guess).

On BI/Options/Cameras, there is an option called Video during Remote Desktop. I have it set to a 5-sec update. However, it updates continuously. Should this option only update the remote console every 5 secs for video streams? Am I misunderstanding something. I did read the help file and it led me to believe this option is exactly what I was looking for.

Any help you can offer will be greatly appreciated.
I believe that option only works with windows remote desktop..not third party apps...
If you are not using that pc for live display, can set the live preview rate to 1 and see if that makes a difference..

logbuilder

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ah, I am running on Windows 10 Home. Windows remote desktop server is only included in the Pro version. That's why I went with VNC.

I just set the live preview rate to 1 fps. Help indicated that it didn't apply to recordings. I don't use the console for live viewing so this should be fine. Sometime tomorrow I'll try it when I go to town. I'll update with results.