BI won't stop recording after movement stops

ttyR2

n3wb
Reaction score
Howdy,

First time BI4 user. Using a single Hikvision DC2 camera. I have motion/trigger enabled, object size set to where it triggers as I would like, but I'm finding the video continues to be recorded, sometimes for minutes on end even though the camera view window no longer has a blue or red border. That would indicate to me that BI isn't detecting any movement. What setting do I need to look at to have it stop recording after say five seconds? I tried enabling the "Trigger camera groups" and set "end trigger unless..." to 2.5 seconds, but that doesn't seem to do anything (I know the trigger function is actually to have other cameras recorded enmass when one camera detects movement). I noticed the "end trigger" setting does change how quickly the red box goes away after movement stops....but recording still continues in the clips menu at the right. If I move my hand even after a couple minutes, the video time and size change showing the same clip has been recording the whole time. At least that's how I read it.

Object detect/reject is unchecked as well based on a forum post I read.

Last edited by a moderator:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
@ttyR2, Welcome to the forum!
Why do you believe the video is still being recorded? Can you see the footage where there is no motion?
You found the correct setting, end trigger unless-Make time..generally that should be set to 10-20 seconds so you dont miss video when there is very little movement, say when a subject stops...
Trigger camera groups is not related - as you point out.

Last edited by a moderator:

ttyR2

n3wb
Reaction score
I moved my hand in front of the camera, red box showed, went away after five seconds (which I have it set to), no motion detected, did the same thing over five minutes later and it showed the clip size to the right as being over six minutes and the file size grew substantially. It didn't create a new clip, but added to the existing one. That makes me thing it's not creating new clips and therefore saving a lot more data than it needs to. One of the clips ended up being 30 minutes and something like 275MB, even when there was probably only a minute of movement spread out over that time.

If it was working the way that seems logical, I should have multiple smaller clips instead of fewer really big ones.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
In the record tab is it set to "when triggered"?

The reason why you are getting one clip instead of multiples is the "combine and cut" option in the record tab - uncheck it if you want separate clips for each motion event...this does not explain why its recording between motion triggers...post some screen shots of your record and motion tabs.

ttyR2

n3wb
Reaction score
ah...the "combine and cut" option fixed the issue, I think. Now after 10 minutes, I have three clips of about 20 seconds each instead of one of a full 10+ minutes.

Thanks, you guys are great! Really happy with Blue Iris and this Hikvision camera so far.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
ah...the "combine and cut" option fixed the issue, I think. Now after 10 minutes, I have three clips of about 20 seconds each instead of one of a full 10+ minutes.

Thanks, you guys are great! Really happy with Blue Iris and this Hikvision camera so far.
Note that even when combine and cut is enabled you should not have a continuously recorded clip, you would have a 60 second clip comprising of the 3 x 20 second events...you may have something set incorrectly.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Is it all set correctly?
Seems to be ...why is your frame rate so low at about 8fps? did you set the camera to that? not the you need more, but if the camera is set higher and you are not getting it something is wrong...

ttyR2

n3wb
Reaction score
Camera is set at 8FPS. For this application, a higher frame rate isn't needed and saves storage space.