BI4 Settings to BI5

lowend15

n3wb
Reaction score
I've been using Blue Iris 4 for some time, love the forum! I am in the process of decoupling my HTPC/server computer and BI NVR that is implemented on same.

The BI will go onto a new computer. Presently I have a "backup NVR" that is an old 8 port QSee type, and for many reasons, I'm going to the 2 computer setup.

Ideally, I want to export the settings of BI4 from the HTPC, and install BI5 on the new computer, import the settings, leaving the BI4 running on the HTPC computer, and have a redundant setup.

Is what I want to do possible? In other words, can I use BI4 settings into BI5?
I wanted to avoid upgrading to BI5 on the first computer if I can.

Also, point to note, I use Windows Media Center on Windows 7 and I'm going to ride that train until it falls off the wheels (or until I have time to find and test a reasonable alternative...PLEX sucked), so I don't want to upgrade to Windows 10 on the HTPC.

I've read the migration guide, and found a thread that discussed changing path of registry entries from 4 to 5.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
There is no change of path of registry entries. Just export on the old machine, import on the new, and then install BI 5, and BI 5 should do the same settings upgrade it would if you had done a normal upgrade from BI 4 to BI 5. Not everything will transfer over, but most of it should. The biggest things to check afterward are any custom actions you have BI take upon camera triggers, and if you use any profiles besides profile 1, the configuration for those might be lost.

lowend15

n3wb
Reaction score
Ahh, so buy another license, but use it to install BI4 first on the new computer. That makes better sense.