Birth of my first patch cable

BigFoot

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Happy bunny !

Just made & successfully tested my first Cat 6 UTP ethernet cable

It means I can now have network cables the length 'I' want rather than curling up excess network cable into an unsightly mess. Thank heavens for YouTube tutorials

Now it can all look nice & neat
:)

cuz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I recently discovered the new (to me) pass through RJ45 connectors and Ideal Industries crimp tool that cuts off the excess wires when it crimps the connector. They make the job so much easier that I “almost” enjoy making/terminating my own cables now. They are well worth the extra cost to me since I only have to do about 20 or so a year.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I recently discovered the new (to me) pass through RJ45 connectors and Ideal Industries crimp tool that cuts off the excess wires when it crimps the connector. They make the job so much easier that I “almost” enjoy making/terminating my own cables now. They are well worth the extra cost to me since I only have to do about 20 or so a year.
Great! I believe one should use what works best for the them and provides them with time-proven, reliable results. But like any tool that "makes life easier", it won't correct mistakes, so it's good that you know "how-to" and practice often.

It's too bad when some folks get started and they seek guidance they get incorrect info or poor method instruction, so if there are any noobs out there reading this, be on the alert. Below is an image from Klein's entry on amazon. They corrected their post of a pass-thru crimp tool with the wrongly-reversed color code on the side of the tool (maybe after I posted an image of the error on IPCT back in Aug. of this year), but their depiction of the CAT cable inserted into the RJ-45 is VERY bad....not only is the color code reversed, but they did not put the cable's grey jacket under the jacket crimp. It's possible the demonstrator wasn't finished inserting, had not crimped, as it's obvious it wasn't trimmed but one should NOT post an incomplete process or incorrect image without some explanation. That being said, there is no sufficient explanation for depicting an incorrect color code.

KLEIN_RJ45_ERROR.jpg

BigFoot

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
The pass-through (easy) connectors are what I'm using

It seemed best to ensure the jacket is fully inserted before crimping and the crimp pliers cut off any excess. Also means I can do one last check before actually crimping down

davej

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So what is the desirable/acceptable bulk cable? There are all sorts of prices on Amazon for 1000ft spools.

BigFoot

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
So what is the desirable/acceptable bulk cable? There are all sorts of prices on Amazon for 1000ft spools.
HAving done a lot of research before I bought, I went for solid copper. Many cables are available as 'CCA' that being copper coated aluminium, but I understand that solid copper is preferable for IP camera's

The cable I bought is Cat 6, made to a higher specification than Cat 5 or Cat 5e. It is UTP (unshielded twisted pair) and is inside a tough external sheathing, a lot tougher and weather resistant than internal cables

I bought mine from a networking supply company. 1000 feet (305) meters cost me £ 78.00 including VAT (VAT is like a sales tax, if you're not in the UK)

cuz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I got a 1000 ft box of cat 6 solid copper UTP from monoprice because that’s the source that was recommended in the cliff notes. After running some cable and attaching rj45 connectors I think next time I’ll get the thinner 24 awg instead of the 23 awg. It will be easier to work with, especially when trying to put connectors on the ends outside in the wintertime.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I got a 1000 ft box of cat 6 solid copper UTP from monoprice because that’s the source that was recommended in the cliff notes. After running some cable and attaching rj45 connectors I think next time I’ll get the thinner 24 awg instead of the 23 awg. It will be easier to work with, especially when trying to put connectors on the ends outside in the wintertime.
For the handful of connections you need to make that should be irrelevant.

cuz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
For the handful of connections you need to make that should be irrelevant.
It was a bit of a pain stuffing the wires thru the connectors so I figure the everso slightly smaller wires will be just a hair easier. Every little bit helps.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
It was a bit of a pain stuffing the wires thru the connectors so I figure the everso slightly smaller wires will be just a hair easier. Every little bit helps.
You should not have trouble getting the wires into the connectors, perhaps you used the wrong plugs...or just buy a platinum EZ tool and connectors..you are just doing it wrong.

cuz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You should not have trouble getting the wires into the connectors, perhaps you used the wrong plugs...or just buy a platinum EZ tool and connectors..you are just doing it wrong.
No, I don’t think I’m doing it wrong.

SkyLake

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Maybe you used connectors for stranded wire on solid copper cable. My guess would be, that you indeed used the wrong connectors, as there are alot of different ones specified to the corresponding cable.