Blue cave vs ac68u

grumpywilson

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Leaving out price and aesthetics, what are the real world pros and cons of the blue cave and ac68u? I see a lot of people on this site are pretty happy with the ac68u but does the blue cave gain or lose anything over the 68?

johz

n3wb
Reaction score
Also curious about real world experiences. From what I have read, the VPN speed of the Blue Cave is low / not as good as AC68 due to the cpu used.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

TL1096r

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Could you please check something for me on the 2900?

Under AIProtection > Parental Controls > Time Scheduling...

It should show a table of blocked devices.

At the top of that table it should say "Client List (Max Limit: 16)"

Is it 16 on the 2900 too?
I would but I did not set it up yet :( I just ordered a few days ago to go with my new setup. But I hope someone else can check but if not I will check as soon as I am up and running.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
I would but I did not set it up yet :( I just ordered a few days ago to go with my new setup. But I hope someone else can check but if not I will check as soon as I am up and running.
No rush. Whenever you get a chance. I'm assuming that it's the same, just want to confirm.

Jay Roman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
How has the 86U treated you??

currently contemplating this exact setup.

86U vs Blue Cave.

Reaction score
So, it's two years later, and I grabbed a couple of Blue Cave routers when there was a significant price drop. The hardware has been somewhat unreliable. I had to return two of these Blue Cave devices because the wifi (both bands) would just spontaneously stop working. The signal would completely disappear, even though the firmware thought it was still up. I've been less than pleased with them, to be quite honest. The 86U however, has been my main/central router for over a year, and it's been rock solid, with no issues whatsoever.

Jay Roman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So, it's two years later, and I grabbed a couple of Blue Cave routers when there was a significant price drop. The hardware has been somewhat unreliable. I had to return two of these Blue Cave devices because the wifi (both bands) would just spontaneously stop working. The signal would completely disappear, even though the firmware thought it was still up. I've been less than pleased with them, to be quite honest. The 86U however, has been my main/central router for over a year, and it's been rock solid, with no issues whatsoever.
Fuck, i just bought a Blue Cave for $65.

I was debating between that and a 86u. But the 86u was like $150

Reaction score
If you choose to unwrap/unbox it, keep a close eye on its performance. If you have the opportunity, return it before opening it. It could be okay, could be flakey. Not worth the trouble, IMHO.

TL1096r

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I think 86u is worth the price.

Mine was $185 after tax... I had it for close to 2 years now and has been amazing.

TheSwede

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Buy AC86, not 68 !!!!!!!
It's the same but MUCH better CPU for VPN performace.

AC86/AC2900 have some diffrent namnes, but its red stripes on the good one.
1617794805884.png

TheSwede

Jay Roman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I think 86u is worth the price.

Mine was $185 after tax... I had it for close to 2 years now and has been amazing.
Hey man, off topic, but I have been following your guides on setting up VPN and Blue iris.

You have been super helpful. Glad to see you are still around.

Thanks so much for your helpful guides and tips !!!

Jay Roman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Buy AC86, not 68 !!!!!!!
It's the same but MUCH better CPU for VPN performace.

AC86/AC2900 have some diffrent namnes, but its red stripes on the good one.
View attachment 86237

TheSwede

I wanted to get this one, but I found the Blue Cave brand new for $65.

If I need to switch it out, this is the router I will definitely get !!!

TL1096r

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hey man, off topic, but I have been following your guides on setting up VPN and Blue iris.

You have been super helpful. Glad to see you are still around.

Thanks so much for your helpful guides and tips !!!
thanks. That means a lot. I simply took what I learned from everyone here and made an easy to follow guide with photos. It is what I wished I had when I was doing my setup.

But, I could not do a lot without the main team... @bp2008 @catcamstar and a few other members you probably know.

I always had more on my list but never did it: vlans, pfsense, face detection, motion detection setup. Many speak about it here but not many write-ups.

@TheSwede great info on the CPU for VPN. I find spending a bit more now saves a lot of time and trouble in the future. I spent a lot years ago but I have not thought about anything or had issues since. I feel if I cheaped-out I would be paying more for it now.