Blue Iris and camera on different subnet and location

Soladaddy

n3wb
Reaction score
I anyone running Blue Iris with camera at another location? It will be a different IP subnet going across the internet via a VPN tunnel to another site. I know the performance is not going to be ideal, but they want the video stored offsite to prevent and entire system from being stolen. Maybe two 2MP cameras for now.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I anyone running Blue Iris with camera at another location? It will be a different IP subnet going across the internet via a VPN tunnel to another site. I know the performance is not going to be ideal, but they want the video stored offsite to prevent and entire system from being stolen. Maybe two 2MP cameras for now.
offsite backup is a clumsy way of protecting against NVR theft. Simply set up a hidden nas or better yet a cheap NVR for redundancy.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
It is totally doable if the internet speeds are sufficient and uncapped. You would blow through most caps easily. (1 Mbps) * 30 days = 324 gigabytes. With a conservative frame rate, you could probably get decent quality from one 2MP cam at 2 Mbps. So two of those would be 4 Mbps, or about 1.296 TB per month. Of course I like to run my 2MP cams at 4-6 Mbps each. That would require 12 Mbps of constant upload/download and 3.888 TB total per month! Definitely enough to put anyone on the ISP's radar, if they are paying attention.

Reaction score
I anyone running Blue Iris with camera at another location?
Yes! For two years I am running cameras across a VPN tunnel between a remote property I can only occassionally visit and primary residence. As @bp2008 mentioned the UPLOAD bandwidth at the remote location plus any DATA CAPs are the main hurdles. I use 3x 2MP cameras at very low frame rates, originally so I wouldn't exceed Comcrap's (25/5) cable internet 1000GB data cap, but now I do it so I don't exceed the upload bandwidth of my new fiber provider (10/3) which was cheaper. You will also want to plan how the system recovers in the event of an extended internet or power outage, so you don't have to return to the site to get it back up and running. While a UPS will help with brownouts and brief loss of power, plan other options to recover from 6-12 hour outages if those are possible at the second location.

Based on my experience, limited upload/datacap recording isn't always useful when an even happens (you wont have many frames to figure out what happened), so would recommend a cheap desktop Blue Iris machine or NVR recording at the remote site at 10-15fps, and sending fewer frames across the VPN. That way you have high frame video available in case of most crimes or incidents at the remote site you could download, but in the super-rare chance they would steal the actual recording system you have something offsite as well.

petere10

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
offsite backup is a clumsy way of protecting against NVR theft. Simply set up a hidden nas or better yet a cheap NVR for redundancy.
Hi, Can you please explain the process of setting up a cheap NVR for redundancy? I assume cameras going direct to BI, and, then output to NVR??
Thanks
Pete