Blue Iris and my current NVR

cswnow

n3wb
Reaction score
I tried searching, but came up with nothing. I have a few questions about BI and my current NVR.

I have a system from Nelly's Security. 16 camera Hikvision NVR with 4 cameras currently working perfectly and recording to 2 4TB purple drives I installed.

The NVR is in a closet and I look at the cameras via Hikvisions website.

Is there a way to use the Blue Iris program to look at my current dvr without having to run an HDMI cable from my NVR to my desktop.

Ultimate goal is to stop using the Hikvision web based software and go to BI.

If you could point me to a thread or any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
The NVR should have its own web interface so you don't have to go to Hikvision's web site. In fact I would go out of my way to make sure the NVR didn't even have internet access.

I'm not sure if Hikvision NVRs will re-stream video from the cameras. Certainly you could have Blue Iris access the cameras directly to pull video. Whatever you do, Blue Iris will not be able to see recordings that are stored on the Hikvision NVR, so unless you want to completely switch over from Hik NVR to Blue Iris, then I think you'll be disappointed. If you are wanting to switch over, then you just need a PoE switch if you don't have one already, assign static IP addresses to each camera, and add them to Blue Iris.

cswnow

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the quick reply. Your explanation is pretty much what I thought I was going to have to do possibly with a dedicated machine with PoE switch and a few hard drives to record.

Thanks again. I am just starting to do some research. Current system works fine, but you are tied to hikvisions website.