Blue iris and plex

Reaction score
Thinking of building a dedicated plex and blue iris server. I've read in several places that you shouldn't run both programs on the same system. Why?
I plan on using enterprise grade components and running windows server 2012 r2 as the OS
Thanks

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Because software can conflict..What "enterprise" hardware are you using? No need for server OS...In fact it causes some issues...

Reaction score
I'm looking at running dual Xeon E5 2650 processors. The only reason is was going to run server 2012 was that I had it. When I was in school I had access to Microsoft programs so I downloaded several different ones to play with and learn. I've still got a good key and wanting to do something with it.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm looking at running dual Xeon E5 2650 processors. The only reason is was going to run server 2012 was that I had it. When I was in school I had access to Microsoft programs so I downloaded several different ones to play with and learn. I've still got a good key and wanting to do something with it.
That processor is old and based on sandy bridge...it also doesnt support intel hd with quicksync which blue iris uses for hardware acceleration..using a dual processor system will be a huge power drain...
Depending on the number of cams all you need is a 300 dollar i5-6500 based system...search the forum for elitedesk and optiplex.

Tinman

Known around here
Reaction score
I have run BI and Plex for over a year without any issues using W10 64x and throw in some home automation to boot. But I am not streaming videos 24/7 either....more like 5 videos a week tops.

Last edited:

typo

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I run BI and Plex on the same box (Optiplex 7010 SFF with I7 - forgot the CPU model). I only run 2 Amcrest ProHD wifi cameras on this. One running 10FPS and one running 15FPS. And all my video files are h.265, so Plex has to transcode to send to my Tivo's. I can easily stream 2 movies thru Plex.

woolfman72

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Anyone able to give me some advice on this. I have a plex server with specs below. Some transcoding done (not absolutely sure how much because i have a few people i give access too it . I have a nuc hooked to the tv so i do not transcode when i use it) I have a total of 5 1080p cameras that i would like to have recording 24/7. i will be slowly moving into the Dahua starlight cameras i currently have one and will eventually be getting 3 more.

Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-4360 CPU @ 3.70GHz, 3700 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 8.00 GB
gtx 650 (i have a r9 290 sitting in the closet that i could use if it would make a difference)