Blue Iris and restoration from a backup image

hdtvjeff

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
When I used Acronis or Ghost to back up my PC with Blue Iris 3 and then restored the image BI 3 together with its settings and activation were intact.

Flash forward to now, BI 4 and Acronis or Ghost.

Upon restoration of image to SAME PC, settings and activation are gone.

I then have to reimport settings and license.

Is this the norm now and if so, why?

If I reimage once a month will BI accept license credentials each and every time?

Again, NEVER an issue with BI 3.66

Thanks !

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
When I used Acronis or Ghost to back up my PC with Blue Iris 3 and then restored the image BI 3 together with its settings and activation were intact.

Flash forward to now, BI 4 and Acronis or Ghost.

Upon restoration of image to SAME PC, settings and activation are gone.

I then have to reimport settings and license.

Is this the norm now and if so, why?

If I reimage once a month will BI accept license credentials each and every time?

Again, NEVER an issue with BI 3.66

Thanks !
What the hell are you doing that you have to re image once a month? Fix the underlying problem lol.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Hard to say why it wasn't an issue with BI 3.66 but is an issue with 4.x. Maybe the licensing code was improved. Or maybe it checks activation status when it checks for updates and you have that disabled on 3.66 because it will never be updated again.

If you always deactivate BI before you wipe it, then in theory you can re-activate again as much as you need.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
Nope, you are limited to something like 5 activations before you have to contact support to reset the count.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

ldasilva

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
thats kinda weird tho unless the image isnt done right and missing something when its ran a sector to sector clone should come out the same

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
most machines generate a new UUID if they been restored from an image; because lots of times one image is used to clone a hundred computers in enterprise settings.

If using GUID Partition tables every time you image its going to generate new ones.. and alot of extra checks been added in the years because people been running trial software in a VM and then reverting snapshots to avoid licensing; it is possible to detect such antics usually.

Did you change operating systems?

hdtvjeff

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Nayr,

New PC build win 10 x64

On my other win 10 pc x64 I can restore an image from acronis everytime I wish and BI 3.66 will faithfully be waiting with license intact and all cameras showing up.
Back to the new build with BI 4 (latest version) as I tweak my new build and have to restore an image BI 4 is there but NO cameras and no license.

So if I have to reimage I'll deactivate befor reimaging and then enter my license and reg file.(Someone did say BI counts up to 5 times you can activate.

Seems strange though since a hardware hash would show same PC with same hardware.

Thanks!

Last edited: