Blue Iris and VPN service accessed externally?

Reaction score
OK. My current setup is running BI on a Win 7 machine on my network. I have a > 10000 port forwarded to the machine from my router for BI external access via the BI android app. Secure only authentication on all connections. Everything works great. My router does not support dd-wrt and I have had no real luck trying to get another router I have that supposedly does support it to connect properly to my vpn service (probably setup something wrong, but have not had the time to dig through it and figure out what).

I have ipvanish vpn service and figured I would ask before messing with my current BI setup. Basically was wondering if I can use ipvanish on the BI Win 7 box set to auto load and auto login (OpenVPN) with the same one port forwarded in the router to allow external access via the BI android App or will the vpn mess up the external access?

PSPCommOp

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
IPVanish is a VPN client service, not a VPN server. The client masks your IP, where the server acts like a secure tunnel from wherever u are right into your home network, which in turn is where ur BI machine is which allows access to it. You need to have the Server on your router.

And with the open port for that BI machine, OpenVPN won't make any difference. OpenVPN allows your to access the home network more securely then having open ports.

Gary R.

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I can't believe my Verizon Fios router does not have that ability.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I can't believe my Verizon Fios router does not have that ability.
Why cant you believe it? They are crap...
IF you have the quantum router you should be able to put it in bridge mode and use something else as the router....if you dont need on demand tv and use a cable card with a network tuner or dont have tv service, you dont need their router at all, they can run ethernet direct from the ONT.

jrhoops

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
You could also come off the verizon router, leaving TVs, telephones, etc connected directly to the verizon device and also plug in your own router for all the PCs, tablets, phones, wifi at this level. place your router in the verizon router's DMZ and roll like everyone else with openvpn on your router.