Blue Iris Android app crash

sudo

n3wb
Reaction score
Anyone else experiencing the android app crashing when selecting the audio headphone icon?

After the audio headphone icon is selected and the app crashes the it'll crash everytime you select to view camera.
I've Uninstalled and reinstalled the mobile app and all that does to help is the app sets audio to off as default so you can select camera again.

So far both cameras that have built in microphones will crash the mobile app.

Not sure how to try and roll back mobile apps. Blue iris server pc app is running latest update. This seemed to correspond with the mobile app update from 2 days ago.

I've used the report button when app crashes.

RichM

n3wb
Reaction score
The last update killed the app.

Don't bother doing an uninstall and reinstall.
I already tried that and it didn't make any difference whatsoever.

We have 3 Android phones and two of them no longer work.
The 3rd one, I was able to go in and uncheck 'Auto Update', as soon as it was powered on,and that one still works.

Rich

DavidS

n3wb
Reaction score
Mobile app version 2.0.46, 9/11/17 has made my week a miserable one. I can only see the cameras in index view. When I go to a full view it crashes. Has nothing to do with audio. Thought about reinstalling but now I see that won't fix it. How do I get version 2.0.45 back? Is there a older version download somewhere?

plomaris

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Android app updated automatically via the play store on all my devices. Now I can't pull it up on any of my tablets! Crashes immediately after logging in.

RichM

n3wb
Reaction score
I reported it the other day along with log files from the device.

Rich

tomgru

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
This is now happening to me across multiple tablets on local LAN. crashes immediately when trying to open. have latest version from store. Killing all my settings and starting over does not help; nor does uninstalling. have sent logs but have not heard back in weeks.

EDIT: i just realized they are all Acer 8" tablets. Tried multiple attempts of reducing "all camera" view resolutions per this thread, but still didn't work.
android app on local units "blue iris has stopped"

Last edited:

SantiagoDraco

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Any updates on the status of fixing the Android app issues? I haven't had a chance to test yet myself but I saw a number of reviews noting issues on Galaxy Note 8's and other devices. I'm in the middle of reviewing BI and so far I'm liking it's features more and more but a properly functioning mobile app is important to me. I am going to work on testing myself but was hoping to hear from the devs on the status of an update.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Any updates on the status of fixing the Android app issues? I haven't had a chance to test yet myself but I saw a number of reviews noting issues on Galaxy Note 8's and other devices. I'm in the middle of reviewing BI and so far I'm liking it's features more and more but a properly functioning mobile app is important to me. I am going to work on testing myself but was hoping to hear from the devs on the status of an update.
the mobile app works just fine...as with any other app, some users have problems..SS has a lower rating for their app than BI..if you go around searching for posts with people who have issues with a specific item, you will never buy anything...

SantiagoDraco

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Don't assume why I'm searching for information. When I look at the app intending to download and test and I see a large number of low star reviews stating that the app update in October is broken it's only common sense to come and ask about it.

Don't be so defensive or judgmental when people ask tough questions about products you promote. I've had zero issues with the SS app so there's no reason for me to ask if there are issues with it here, I already know how it works and what it's shortcomings might be. I also don't have to spend any additional $$ just to test it like I would for the BI mobile app.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Don't assume why I'm searching for information. When I look at the app intending to download and test and I see a large number of low star reviews stating that the app update in October is broken it's only common sense to come and ask about it.

Don't be so defensive or judgmental when people ask tough questions about products you promote. I've had zero issues with the SS app so there's no reason for me to ask if there are issues with it here, I already know how it works and what it's shortcomings might be. I also don't have to spend any additional $$ just to test it like I would for the BI mobile app.
Its logic, not defense...So keep using SS..it works for you...you obviously are not using any of the advanced features of blue iris...you can also check out milestone its free...
Problem with people like you is they see ONE post here and a few reviews on an app that is rated 4.2, and they assume there are mega issues...relax...either pony up the 10 dollars - i know its hard...or keep using SS...youll be fine. Also its important not to lie, there are not a large number of reviews stating the app is broken. Many users negative reviews, as with many network products are based on incompetence.
Lets take this to its logical conclusion - lets say he tells you he is still having issues...does that mean you wont buy the software? makes total sense...what about the thousands of BI users here who are not having that issue? Who is to say the next SS update wont cause a problem for you? See, sometimes you just gotta think a bit.

Last edited:

SantiagoDraco

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Actually I don't find it hard to spend $10, you might, I don't. Not a significant amount of money to me but I can't speak for you.

As for whether I would move forward with a purchase after hearing from the devs, I guess that would be based on the response. I would probably trust their response and move forward. But considering the significant (large was too small a word, you are right) amount of issues posted in the last several months in reviews I figured it would be good to check with the source (I assumed they read the forums). Of course probably though even though a "large" number of those reviews were from people claiming to be long time users who had issues after an update they likely were just stupid in expecting things would just work after the update was applied. Either that or they are shills for another software company posting negative reviews. Could be. What do I know. Definitely worth thinking a bit about.

Anyway I wouldn't mind hearing if anyone who had the issues here resolved them and found a root cause of the issues after updating, like user error/incompetence, and could share their experience. I really like what I've seen of Blue Iris so far but you've given me things to think about before moving forward with a purchase.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Actually I don't find it hard to spend $10, you might, I don't. Not a significant amount of money to me but I can't speak for you.

As for whether I would move forward with a purchase after hearing from the devs, I guess that would be based on the response. I would probably trust their response and move forward. But considering the significant (large was too small a word, you are right) amount of issues posted in the last several months in reviews I figured it would be good to check with the source (I assumed they read the forums). Of course probably though even though a "large" number of those reviews were from people claiming to be long time users who had issues after an update they likely were just stupid in expecting things would just work after the update was applied. Either that or they are shills for another software company posting negative reviews. Could be. What do I know. Definitely worth thinking a bit about.

Anyway I wouldn't mind hearing if anyone who had the issues here resolved them and found a root cause of the issues after updating, like user error/incompetence, and could share their experience. I really like what I've seen of Blue Iris so far but you've given me things to think about before moving forward with a purchase.
You completely missed the point .. you will always find somebody for any product that wasn't able to resolve their issues.... So your question is completely pointless... I think you need to stick with surveillance station...using blue iris requires a bit of logic...if you cant understand that if there were serious issues with the app it would not a a 4.2 rating (vs SS 3.7) and thousands of posts to the same effect here, then you need to stick with something basic like SS...
There are over 1500 reviews...4.2 is the average...do you understand what that means? do you think the others would not come back and complain that they cannot access their server?

Last edited:

tomgru

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
OK boys... take it behind the schoolyard.

I'm just trying to figure out why it's not working on a tablet that used to work fine, and am happily awaiting a response from the developer. I did notice this awhile back, and sent logs and an email, but never heard back. now that it's becoming more of an issue, i'd like to see a fix or someone to point out that I've done something wrong. this works on my Fires, my Samsung phone, and my Asus tablets... but no go on ACER.

Can we maybe help troubleshoot this, instead of bickering.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score

I'm just trying to figure out why it's not working on a tablet that used to work fine, and am happily awaiting a response from the developer. I did notice this awhile back, and sent logs and an email, but never heard back. now that it's becoming more of an issue, i'd like to see a fix or someone to point out that I've done something wrong. this works on my Fires, my Samsung phone, and my Asus tablets... but no go on ACER.

This is an internet forum...bickering goes on..toughen up a bit...
have you messed with group settings webcast resolutions? from release notes.
"Rolling back the default group image resolution change which has adversely affected our Android client app--crashes have been reported with the new 960p resolution, so it's once again 720p. You can still override this size as required via the group settings pages."
There is obviously something specific about your acer tablets that is causing this.
other than that you will have to wait for support..have you tried emailing from the server about tab, providing your license/support credentials?

SantiagoDraco

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

Tomgru, did you try changing the stream/camera resolution to 1080p as found in the thread in your previous post? Aside from the connection issues some have reported the crashes seem to be resolution or decoder related. As Fenderman noted above have you tried setting a different resolution to see if it resolves the crash?

tomgru

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
yep... that's why I mentioned the link above. Tried all sorts of different resolutions.... including 1020 and 720... also tried shutting down BI and the services, and starting them back up again.
Could verify via web client that all camera resolution was changing - still crashing app.

Fenderman, looked at the "what's new" section and didn't see anything regarding camera resolutions in streaming.

And as for bickering. I thought this forum was to help support folks with questions.
I thought Facebook was for Bickering :)

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
yep... that's why I mentioned the link above. Tried all sorts of different resolutions.... including 1020 and 720... also tried shutting down BI and the services, and starting them back up again.
Could verify via web client that all camera resolution was changing - still crashing app.

Fenderman, looked at the "what's new" section and didn't see anything regarding camera resolutions in streaming.

And as for bickering. I thought this forum was to help support folks with questions.
I thought Facebook was for Bickering :)
I posted a direct quote from the what's new section... Is not referring to the camera resolution....read it again

tomgru

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
ok... so sorry if I've pissed you off that much. thought the Facebook comment was funny.

So, I found it... my bad. didn't realize it was that far down in the updates, as I thought this starting happening around September. That said, I looked all over for group settings in the tool bar and couldn't find anything other than this from the all camera gear icon near bottom of screen.

those are the settings I've tried with no luck. I'm sure I must be missing something....

Attachments