Blue Iris Android app with VPN

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
A newbie question.

I have set up my ASUS vpn. I can access my VPN and blue iris from my laptop using wifi from work by first starting OPENVPN then using a web browser to connect to the Blue Iris login page (UI3). So the VPN works and the Blue Iris web server works.

The Android Blue Iris App ($9.99) on my phone will connect to Blue Iris when I am at home over my home wi-fi. But when I am at work it does not connect, I have verified the WAN address. Does the APP have a built in VPN connection ability? Or do I need to use to install OPENVPN on my phone ?

If I have to install OPENVPN why do I need the app when i can use the web browser ?

The long term objective is to have a simple one click icon on the phone for family members to access the cameras. And when family members close the APP/web browser the connection will disconnect.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
A newbie question.

I have set up my ASUS vpn. I can access my VPN and blue iris from my laptop using wifi from work by first starting OPENVPN then using a web browser to connect to the Blue Iris login page (UI3). So the VPN works and the Blue Iris web server works.

The Android Blue Iris App ($9.99) on my phone will connect to Blue Iris when I am at home over my home wi-fi. But when I am at work it does not connect, I have verified the WAN address. Does the APP have a built in VPN connection ability? Or do I need to use to install OPENVPN on my phone ?

If I have to install OPENVPN why do I need the app when i can use the web browser ?

The long term objective is to have a simple one click icon on the phone for family members to access the cameras. And when family members close the APP/web browser the connection will disconnect.
You will have to use the openvpn app, an dinput the local IP address in the blue iris app for both wan and lan....
The mobile app is still easier to use than ui3 on a phone..